Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Oestrogel split dose or all at once?  (Read 18501 times)

Ljp

Oestrogel split dose or all at once?
« on: January 07, 2016, 08:59:03 AM »

Hi,

If I use two pumps of oestrogen gel, is it best to apply both pumps at the same time? Or app,y one dose morning, and one dose evening?

Can night application affect sleep?

Thank you 😊

Joyce

Re: Oestrogel split dose or all at once?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 10:58:25 AM »

I used to put it on at bedtime. Don't think it makes much difference really.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 05:46:18 PM »

It also depends on where you apply it and whom you will come into contact with immediately afterwards as there should be no skin contact with anyone or any pet for one hour I believe (from memory), as there can be some transfer.

Hurdity x

Cassie

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 06:25:40 PM »

No both at night on the whole leg alternate legs, no problems with sleeping as one may get with the Progesterone.

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 06:35:36 PM »

Lisajp, sorry I confused you with someone else who finds it difficult to sleep when taking Oestrogel at night!

Everyone is different and it's trial and error but why not try all three combinations i.e. 2 pumps at night, 2 in the morning and the split dose that I mentioned.  That way, you can decide which combination suits you best. 

I split the dose to avoid a dip on my Utrogestan phase but others might find they prefer to do it that way because they find it more effective overall.

How did you get on with the doctor today?

Ljp

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 08:11:07 AM »

Thank you for replies, I saw my GP just for a chat as needed prescription for oestrogel, as she'd only prescribed the one canister to see how I did.

She was happy that my coil was ok, I told her I had checked it etc. She said bleeding was considered normal for anything up to six months, and body has to settle with new regime.

She though it a good idea to try two pumps for the next couple of months, whilst estring is still doing its thing too, then go back to see her for a review, when I may try without estring and see how bladder issue fairs.

Been using split application of gel the past two days, not slept particularly well, and last night I had sweats, but it's difficult to know if that's just because it's mild or if caused by evening oestrogel application, or even an increase in symptoms due to body accepting extra oestrogen, I'm going to stick with it a while and see if it settles I think.

It does make sense in my head, that a split dose would mean oestrogen levels would remain more stable.
Not doing at bedtime though, I'm bringing it forward to tea time/early evening

Niamh

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 07:52:33 PM »

I use 2 pumps of ostrogel and personally through trial and error I find 2 early in the morning best for me and I apply on the inside of my arms where I believe the skin is the thinnest and no hair. If I apply in the evening it affects my sleep makes me wired! Agree with the advice it's best to try and see....do you have a mirena? Could that be causing sleep issues? I couldn't tolerate one at all had it out in 48 hours as sent me mad and didn't sleep on it but I'm prog intolerant x

Ljp

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 09:06:02 AM »

Thanks Niamh,
Yesterday I split the rise, applying second dose at tea time, slept much better.

Yes I have mirena, had it for 5 weeks, and apart from spotting, it's caused no problems. I did panic after having it put in, and felt like having it taken out and asking for utrogestan, but it's doing its job, and Interuterine progestogen can apparently be less systemically absorbed, a more localised  effect.

I do think, that unless I suffer unbearable side effects, it's best to stick with any new regime for at least three months, to give bid time to adjust to it and accept it.

Niamh

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 10:02:08 AM »

Ah that all sounds really positive :) agree about the 3 months im amazed how much better ive tolerated everything 2/3 months in when I was convinced it all wasn't working! Hope things stay settled for you x

Ljp

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 11:59:35 AM »

What are you used no for progesterone Niamh?

I find my mind is prone to really bad overthinking and panicking, especially since menopausal changes, so I have reign it in and give my body chance to let me know if something suits or not.

My next concern will be, if all this HRT continues to help me feel good, how or when or if do you have to come off it?

Mary G

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 01:39:47 PM »

Lisajp, you don't have to come off it, you can choose to be an HRT lifer like me!  Anyway, by the time you would supposedly "need" to come off it, I am fairly confident that the poor and now discredited science surrounding HRT will be consigned to the history books forever and women will be free to take it for as long as they like because the health benefits far outweigh the tiny risks.

Niamh

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 02:20:50 PM »

Lisajp im on utrogestan 100mg for 7 days then ostrogel and testim (testosterone) im actually seeing Prof Studd and he has me on this for crippling pmt. I'm 41 so quite possibly early peri too as Mary says I intend to be on this for however long probably forever, it's changed my life already :) x

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 03:18:20 PM »

Hi Niamh.

I was wondering how you were getting on after your nasty dip at Xmas? Have you seen Prof. Studd again yet?

Niamh

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 03:23:17 PM »

Hi GLR

I'm so much better thank you :) see him this Thursday, will report back as might be some useful stuff for other members. The utro has been fine this month used vaginally and really was ok, last month had that horrid dip around now so just waiting to see hoping it won't come....

How are you?x

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2016, 04:34:06 PM »

I'm so pleased to hear that. How many days into the Utro are you?

I started Femostan 1/10 2 weeks ago, up and down for the first 3-4 days, but that coincided with my period starting so my oestrogen levels would have been at their lowest.

But then, as presumably my own oestrogen started to rise, my mood really improve and have felt really good and normal for the last 10 days or so. Sleep, especially, has been really good. It felt so wonderful to just feel normal again after a very bleak 6 weeks since coming off Marvelon.

But then I took the first combined oestrogen with progesterone tablet yesterday and I can tell my mood is dipping again. Didn't sleep well last night and woke feeling jittery (you know the drill). So feel quite disappointed and really worried that I'm not going to be able to tolerate the progesterone again. But trying to remain positive. At least my mood isn't as dreadfully flat and low as it was in the run up to, and over Xmas, where I couldn't manage even a small smile.

I can still smile now but I just don't feel right/contented/normal inside anymore. If Femostan is going to make me feel like this during the combined 14 tablets then there's no point taking it as I was getting roughly 12 to 14 bad days every month pre HRT.

But I see Annie Evans in 7 weeks and I might well end up in the very same regime as you, if I prove unable to tolerate even the progesterone in Femoston. I have taken Utro before and was okay on it, but did have a mood dip when it stopped, but I took it orally and 200mg for 12 days. Taking it vaginally and only 100mg for just 7 days would probably suit me fine.

Please keep us updated after you've seen Prof. Studd, it's so interesting to hear what he has to say.

Pages: [1] 2