Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: New today  (Read 2236 times)

maxilou

New today
« on: January 06, 2016, 04:52:54 PM »

I have been browsing through the forum and have read with relief that I am 'normal'. I turned 50 a few months ago and my periods up until then were very regular, 4 weeks to the day, but then I went 6 weeks, and now it has been 8 weeks and no sign of the visitor. I have had a few hot flashes but on Boxing Day they were horrendous, probably cooking for 12 didn't help, but since then I have not been able to sleep through the night. I have been waking up at 1.30 am, 3.30am, flinging off the duvet, having the window open, feeling anxious, having palpitations, I have felt awful. My work colleague has been through all this and she told me about this forum.
I have not found anyone else on this forum, so far, who are at the very beginning of this 'journey' so it would be nice to hear from anyone in the same boat. I am not even sure if I have started the menopause as it has been all so sudden and I do have some family problems which are a little stressful.
Help and advice appreciated.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New today
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 04:55:33 PM »

:welcomemm:

Browse round, make notes!  There is a search facility which might help. 

We talk about everything here, even menopause ;-).   There is a private area as well as general chit chat and a funny 'room'.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 06:15:24 PM »

Hi maxilou

:welcomemm:  from me too!

Missing periods and hot flushes are classic signs of peri-menopause so you may well be on the journey! As CLKD says - there is a lot of really useful information on the site. You can post questions about anything in the different sections of the forum, including talking about your family problems in the members only area if you felt you wanted to talk about these.

Hurdity x

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 07:21:47 PM »

I'm in the beginning stages also. Have slightly erratic periods. Sometimes have hot flashes that feel like a sunburn of the face. Sometimes cold flashes. Right now my boobs are okay, but have been sore, itchy, swolle etc and generally scared me. Digestive problems (diarreah for instance). More muscle aches and pains. Anxiety, sadness, insomnia. It comes and goes in waves, it seems. I'm 46 years old, by the way....

pepperminty

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 07:33:39 PM »

Hi Maxilou,

I remember the first symptom I had which was sweating at night, I had to change my night clothes as they were soaking. This was my first symptom , but I didn't equate it with the peri menopause  at the time. Then came the flooding, my periods were so heavy. Then I started missing periods. I became more tearful, couldn't sleep, muscle aches etc.

The peri meno pause seems to creep up on you. I would keep a diary of my symptoms and if things don't improve maybe ask your GP for some blood tests. Don't let other peoples symptoms worry you, as you may sale through the menopause , not everyone has a hard time.

Anyway there are lots of things you can do to help you along the way if it is the peri menopause. Knowing you aren't going potty and this is all normal is half the battle. Be kind to yourself .

Pepperminty xx