Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Would you travel a very long way, alone?  (Read 14704 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Would you travel a very long way, alone?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 12:58:25 PM »

Have a talk with the Foreign Office, go into a Travel Agents and voice your fears?  Are there others headed to the same Concert going who you could join up with somewhere along the journey. If you are being paid to travel could you afford for your DH to go with you, as suggested?  Speak with the air-line you are thinking of travelling with. 

The answer to your question is 'no' -  ::): DH and I are joined at the hip and do almost everything together ……..

limpy

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 02:38:34 PM »

Dulciana - Whereabouts would you be going?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 05:48:42 PM by Limpy »

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 05:06:15 PM »

Grumpyjane - read your reply late  ::) ……. crikey  :medal: did you write the book yet?

I wish my anxiety would go away: I want to see the Italian Lakes however; at least with anxiety threatening every plan I try to make we have money in the Bank  ;D - I wonder if we would have sold up at retirement and travelled in a larger camper ……….  :whist: sorry bit of a meander ……..

littleminnie

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 06:57:06 PM »

How about hiring a large camper and driving to the Lakes?

grumpyjane

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 07:34:40 PM »

quote author=CLKD link=topic=30583.msg485062#msg485062 date=1452099975]
Grumpyjane - read your reply late  ::) ……. crikey  :medal: did you write the book yet?

[/quote]

Haha CLKD, you're not the first to suggest that!   :lol:

I'm lucky in that I don't suffer such bad anxiety as some of you. I can imagine it would make travel difficult. But if it can be overcome, it would be a great confidence boost.  :clapping:

J x

(My problem is obviously dealing with "quote" ) aaaaargh!

Dulciana

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 07:55:00 PM »

Malaysia, Limpy.

limpy

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2016, 08:40:39 PM »

Malaysia, Limpy.

Hmm difficult - Would you be staying and performing with local people?

BrightLight

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2016, 09:47:41 PM »

I totally understand the dilemma - but.......you have mentioned that you might regret it.  I would explore all possible options of how to feel more comfortable about doing this before you say no.  It sounds like it is a fantastic opportunity that has potential to 'fill' you up.

Terrorism of course is a worry, but.......I think it is everywhere and as others have said the travel aspects is well controlled and if there is a company organising things at the other end it sounds as though you will have a well organised and somewhat 'protected' trip.

Taz2

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2016, 11:48:10 PM »

A difficult decision. I don't think it would help to take DH with you as this would mean both of you would be involved should a terrorist incident take place! These are the latest guidelines from Gov UK re travel to Malaysia https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/malaysia/terrorism.

Taz x

Dulciana

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2016, 08:23:30 AM »

Ohhhhh............I don't know. :-\

Ju Ju

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2016, 09:01:38 AM »

It sounds as if this is not so much a fear of travelling on your own, but rather the general safety of travelling to a country where you may be at risk. This is not just because of lack of confidence or anxiety related to your thoughts but to what is happening in various parts of the world. You need to get more information both about the real risks and about the organisation of your visit and the concert, before you make your decision.

ancient runner

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2016, 10:16:44 AM »

Just a thought, but I think you're probably safer on long haul air travel than you might be, say, travelling through one of the mainline London railway stations. Is your Far East country one where there have been terrorist incidents? I actually can't see how having two of your there would make it safer from the type of problems it seems your husband is envisaging. If you did this and by yourself - what an adventure! You'd feel really good about yourself and what you can do...

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2016, 11:03:53 AM »

Malaysia ……….. GO FOR IT!  contact the Travel Agent and Malaysian Embassy ……..

Dorothy

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2016, 03:29:24 PM »

Will you be with locals out there?  They often have a much better idea of the safety situation than the foreign office! 

The foreign office terrorist advice looks scary, but have a look at the advice for some of the other countries that you probably wouldn't worry about travelling to - that looks scary too! 

Terrorism is a risk anywhere. Regarding travelling out there on your own - you might experience problems that would be less stressful if you were with a companion, but I don't think you will experience trouble that would be less dangerous if you had a companion.  Flight delays and other hassles like that are always worse if you are travelling alone, but a companion won't be able to protect you from major things like terrorist attacks or bombs!

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2016, 04:40:07 PM »

We already have a small camper ……………..  ;)

Speak with the people who are organising the Event?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4