Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: hormonal havoc on metformin  (Read 5077 times)

matildamouse

hormonal havoc on metformin
« on: January 04, 2016, 12:14:44 AM »

HI ladies. Any advice or similar experiences will be appreciated. Thanks.

I am 52 and had no periods for over a year. Was put on BHRT (estrogen troche and progesterone 100mg) continuously with no period. Hot flushes were under control and sleeping OK. My GP decided to start me on Metformin as he suspects I have PCOS and it will assist with my facial hair issues, elevated free testosterone (since my 20's), acne and weight loss. After a week of Metformin I had sore and swollen breasts and nipples, worse acne and candida. I also felt very unstable and emotional. Also gained 3kgs in one week >:(

Trying to get hold of the menopause centre. Feeling so fed up and sick of this ongoing battle...

Hurdity

Re: hormonal havoc on metformin
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 06:53:12 PM »

Hi matildamouse

Sorry to hear about your problems. I am not familiar with your medication so can't help with that one. Also not familiar with "toche" as I presume you are from outside UK and we don't have this - oestrogen is either patch or gel or tablet.

How long have you been on the HRT? If the side effects only came when you started the medication then presumably your doc should be able to help as there may be some interaction with HRT giving you these symptoms?

Sorry I can't help - sounds like an unusual problem.

Hurdity x

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 06:55:39 PM »

Hi matildamouse - sorry to hear that you are going through this. When you say that your GP suspects you have PCOS are there any tests you can have to actually confirm this? How long had you been on HRT before you started the Metformin? Also, have you had a look at the PCOS forums which may have more info for you?  My mum was on Metformin for her diabetes but suffered from severe stomach pain and sickness while on it. She didn't have any hormonal effects such as you mention and I can't find anything about this online either. It seems to be more to do with your HRT I would think than the Metformin  :-\

Taz x

coldethyl

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 09:07:02 PM »

I took Metformin when I was first diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic and side effects were as Taz described- stomach cramps, loose bowels and nausea. They are an appetite suppressant so I lost weight quite rapidly on them so would be surprised if it is them that has caused your weight gain.

matildamouse

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 02:49:50 AM »

Thanks ladies.

Yes I am in Australia and very frustrating here for menopausal women as BHRT here is not prescribed by your standard GP; only prescribed by a few GP's (who are fully booked for months ahead) or you can be treated by the menopause centre via telephone consultations etc. I have been on the bio-identical hormones since October 2014. My GP suspects PCOS based on lifelong symptoms like elevated androgen, facial hair, painful periods, acne and borderline insulin resistance level. According to him you do not necessarily need to have ovarian cysts to have the syndrome. I know Metformin assists with weight loss, hence willing to try it but obviously in my case not!

Spoke to the menopause centre yesterday who advised to up my progesterone to 150mg every night which I started last night. The Dr there is of the opinion that I became estrogen dominant hence stopped my estrogen troches as well, so now only on Progesterone 150mg every night. My scan also showed 5 fibroids which can be consistent with PCOS and estrogen dominance.

I started last night and must admit breasts has settled, joint pain and stiffness feels strangely better as well as less volatile in my emotions.

Based on my own research and convo with the DR, the Metformin increased my estrogen levels to the point of being estrogen dominant and progesterone deficient. Days like this I am ready to have a hysterectomy as it is so much more complicated to get the right HRT with progesterone as part of the equation.

Shazzie

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 03:04:22 PM »

Hiya

Sorry that you are suffering.

I stopped my HRT in May 2015 and started Metformin at the same time for borderline diabetes.  Since starting the Metformin I have lost just over 3 stone.  I've only heard of weight loss on Metformin and not weight gain.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.  Hope you feel better soon.

Shazzie xx