Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hello! very much appreciate your advice  (Read 3942 times)

newbeginnings

Hello! very much appreciate your advice
« on: January 04, 2016, 03:43:26 PM »

Hi I have been reading around the website for a while picking up lots of good vibes and helpful info. I am 55.  I started on HRT Elleste 1mg 5 weeks ago.
 I asked my GP for HRT after about 5 years of being diagnosed with CFS Fibromyalgia, anxiety panic attacks and depression. I realised after being on this website that maybe I have been badly affected by the menopause and am not just losing my mind.

I feel that I have already felt benefits from being on it, but over Christmas when I was coming to the end of the progesterone pills I was taken aback by quite heavy bleeding and a lot of period pain. After 2 or 3 years of no periods it was rather strange and unsettling.I also had a bad headache. do you think this is normal?

I had wanted to try the topical gel HRT but my gp said it was too complicated for him he had never heard of it.

I thought I saw on the website that Dr Currie takes email requests for information, is this still the case?

thank you very much for reading.

Galadriel

Re: Hello! very much appreciate your advice
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 03:53:35 PM »

Hi and welcome newbeginnings  :welcomemm:

No wonder you found having periods unsettling after 2-3 years of no periods. Your GP should have put you on a continuous combined HRT.  :o
Given that he's done this and said topical HRT is too complicated for him, I think you should see someone else if possible... somebody with half an idea of treating menopause would be an improvement! A good source of info on who is good with HRT is the local pharmacist.

Just to reassure you, everything you have reported is normal  :) and yes, Dr Currie answers e-mails (for a fee).

Have a good look at the green pop-up menus at the top of the page, they are full of useful information.

Galadriel x

newbeginnings

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 03:59:55 PM »

Hi Galadriel thanks for your reassurance.

There is a female doctor at the practice I will make an appointment with. Its a bit of a disappointment he didn't know about HRT he has been very good in other ways.

I will have another look for the link to Dr Currie. I feel better for finally having joined the forum very pleased with myself!!

limpy

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 04:19:57 PM »

Hi Newbeginnings     :welcomemm:

Browse the menus at the top, to get a better idea of what HRT options are available.
Please go and speak to the female dr at the practice so you can get better advice (hopefully).

Like Galadriel says, what you describe does sound normal, but best get yourself a sensible GP.

newbeginnings

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 04:23:58 PM »

thanks limpy

(have now realised I had joined the forum some months ago when I first took hrt but only ended up taking it for a few days.)

do you think it is safe taking the elleste which has the oestrogen and progesterone separately?

dazned

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 04:29:36 PM »

Yes its safe but as others have said you will get another withdrawal bleed after the end of each pack. You just need the gp to prescribe a continuous type hrt.

newbeginnings

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 05:45:19 PM »

Thanks. just adds to the anxiety generally.

babyjane

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 06:58:11 PM »

Hi and welcome, I am sparkle's twin (not in real life). We share so many things that are the same. As far as I can tell nothing is an overnight cure but whatever treatment we choose takes a while to become effective.

I am learning a lot both from the whole process and also this forum.

Hope you do too.

Sunnydays

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 07:41:45 PM »

Hi newbeginnings I can imagine how you felt. I actually (reluctantly) chose an hrt that gave a bleed because I can't seem to take continous hrt. Even so, with no period for a good 2 years I didn't look forward to the bleed when I took the progesterone part and like you felt, it was horrible! It reminded me of when  I first started periods all those years ago! But in a way even worse because I was choosing to  make it happen!
So go for the continous and free yourself from periods! Good luck with it all :))

newbeginnings

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 03:13:36 PM »

It means so much to get your replies thank you so much. Saw a female gp yesterday "our age!" She was very nice. She has put me on Femseven Conti. I so hope its going to be straightforward but I searched the forum and saw that some people haven't done so well on it. I've had such a heavy bleed and period pain last few says after 3 years it was pretty awful.I am determined to give it a good go with hrt. If anyone has any advice in femseven Conti that be great.

newbeginnings

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 03:15:26 PM »

Oh also meant to say I have now seen 2 gps neither of whom had heard of utrogestan and were not willing to prescribe it.

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 06:12:23 PM »

Hi newbeginnings

:welcomemm: from me too.

Just to say that sometimes docs can only find the generic "micronised progesterone" in their little books and then the pharmacy dispenses the utrogestan , since it is actually the only one available.

It is inexcusable of the doctors to refuse to prescribe a licensed medication on the basis of ignorance when the information is freely available to lay people on this and other websites. If you do decide you want to try it in future you could refer your docs to this website and they could find the information there and then - including the dosage!!
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php Alternatively you could print it off for them - it is your right to have the medication of your choice!

Anyway in the meantime I do hope the Femseven works for you. You may well get some spotting or bleeding although as you've just had a heavy bleed maybe not? Any spotting should settle after a while.

I found the link to E-mailing Dr Currie here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/contact.php

Kepp us posted!

Hurdity x

newbeginnings

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 08:20:13 AM »

Thank you.  Maybe I need to stay on the patches for at least a month? I'm worried I'll trigger bad symptoms if I change it too soon. I am due to see the doc in a month and will go armed with printed off info. Is it potentially not good to change types of hrt ?

After seeing gp I gave up on the gels but I will try again

limpy

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 11:43:41 AM »

Is it potentially not good to change types of hrt ?

:-\

HRT is like any other sort of medication, it can be changed. But chopping and changing in the short term doesn't seem sensible.