Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan suffering side effects  (Read 1913 times)

Tinkerbell

Utrogestan suffering side effects
« on: January 04, 2016, 10:59:22 AM »

I have only taken the utrogestan for the last 3 nights but already feel like giving up!
I have such vivid dreams that wake me up several times in the night and grogginess takes about 12 hours to go after using it.
Terrible bloating and now constipation...thinking about it I did get these problems when I had periods, but not as bad.
Headache pretty constant
And now last night I was very sweaty and felt like  I might have a temperature ....no sign of any illness this morning though.

I am on continuous 100mg though I was going to do the 25 day one.

I am back at work tomorrow and don't know how I am going to cope.

I am on the 50mcg Estradot patch that has seemed to have reduced the palpitations but nothing for the VA, but I suppose that may take longer to improve.

Are things likely to settle? because there is no way I can cope with these side effects for 25 days.

foreign body

Re: Utrogestan suffering side effects
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 01:43:23 PM »

i am on the short protocol, i take Utrogestan 100 mg vaginally for 7 days a month. I couldn't face taking it one day longer! The side effects are pretty bad. Like you, I feel fluy, achy, groggy, bloated, constipated, depressed...it's basically like a severe PMS.
I have been on this protocol for over 6 months and it doesn't get easier, unfortunately.
I try to take it easy during that week,  don't schedule important appointments,  look after myself as if i had a cold. I can only muster enough energy for some gentle yoga. I read a lot, go to bed early, can't drink alcohol because i would immediately get a headache.

Unfortunately other types of HRT that contain synthetic progesterone have an even worse impact on my health and well being. When i was on Angeliq, my skin broke out, i am not talking about the odd pimple, but huge cysts on my chin and jaw that lasted for weeks and required a cortisone injection! Angeliq didn't provide any relief to insomnia.

At least with Utrogestan i can sleep and my skin doesn't look too bad, just one or two small pimples every month and they disappear as soon as i stop the Utro.