Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hamsters  (Read 9314 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Hamsters
« on: January 03, 2016, 04:30:41 PM »

Mum cared for the one in School ……. it used to come home at weekends so that Dad could clean out the tank, it had free range of the lounge but preferred to hide underneath the chair in the corner.  It would only walk around the room at the edges.  Apparently after my dog had visited it would sniff carefully where she had laid, then scurry back to the chair  ;D

My own hamster many years later had to be rehomed as it made me anxious  :'( - not one of my better ideas.

They do HAVE to be allowed to be active in a rolly ball thing ……….. and they may nip when first handled.  So holding a sunflower or pumpkin seed that has the owner's smell on helps and they need a jam jar at a slight tilt in one corner to wee into.  I used to give mine a boneo to keep his teeth neat and tidy.  I trapped the biscuit between the bars of the cage so that he had to work hard to get it!

No chocolate or soft foods because the pouches can get fouled up causing fatal infections.  They do love carrots and apples though - put into the cage whole they can keep active trying to gnaw.

jedigirl

Re: Hamsters
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 04:44:08 PM »

We haven't managed to handle our new baby yet. She does seem alert and friendly, explored straight away. Daughter wanted to shop for treats for her today so we got a seed stick thingy which she is having fun transporting bits back and forth to her bed!
She seems to be sleeping in the see through tube that runs outside the cage which gives us a very cute view of her curled up.  She has a wheel in her cage but no ball thing yet. She enjoyed a piece of carrot today.
She is much loved already and doesn't seem at all fazed by the cat peering at her. Thankfully it's a very secure cage ;)

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 04:47:41 PM »

Mine fascinated me for the few hours it was here.  When neighbours got one they were scared of it so I took over the care and handled it every day.  I taught their daughter how to let it run round our kitchen, simply sitting to watch what it did - before picking it up gently.  It would run round my shoulders and into my hair and once the daughter realised that the bite didn't hurt and was because hamsters are short sighted, she got better at caring for it.

When they went on holidays I had it here  ;).  When it was being cleaned out I put the hamster into the empty bath so it couldn't get out - might be an idea for you - with the door shut securely 'cos the cat will 'have it' - I loved turning out the bedding into the whole cage and watched it pulling it back into it's sleeping area.

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 06:25:55 PM »

I used to breed hamsters in another life.  I loved it.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 07:37:09 PM »

What kinds?

jedigirl

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 08:05:50 PM »

We spent a while watching new hamster tonight then she climbed onto my daughters hand sniffed around then jumped off, literally jumped like a frog, we were both a bit freaked out!! Never seen that before and had a few hamsters! Read up and seems it is called pinging which they do when startled or nervous. Obviously is going to need lots more handling, bless  :)

Dorothy

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 08:30:33 PM »

Be careful with heights - hamsters are short-sighted and seem to have the view that if they can't see how far the drop is then it's probably not too far...a friend of mine used to let her hamster wander round on a table, and sadly it just walked off the edge and broke its back. :'(

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 08:39:27 PM »

I sat on the floor with the ones here, if it climbed onto my lap it could roll onto the floor or run down my legs  ::)

jedigirl

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 08:41:12 PM »

Don't worry we were on the floor, just surprised us!

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 08:44:30 PM »

It's the little scratch they give when they have done something not expected, a bit like a cat's displacement grooming  ;D

ellie

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 09:48:15 PM »

I used to work in a pet shop, and hated it when somone came in to buy a hamster......being nocturnal I had to wake them up, and most times got a nip  :-\....

babyjane

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 09:45:53 AM »

What kinds?

Syrians, I also showed my brood female and one of her babies that we kept. Got a Highly commended and Commended for them both  :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 10:03:46 AM by babyjane »

Dorothy

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 10:26:34 AM »

My first hamster was very active and loved her wheel - not long after we got her, my dad was out and my mum thought she heard a burglar trying to prize open a window in the next room - grabbed a rolling pin and charged in to confront him, only to be confronted by a rather bemused hamster charging round the wheel  :o - the squeak, squeak of the wheel going round was what my mum had heard  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 11:41:04 AM »

;D

We had a neighbour many years ago - her Grandfather brought the 1st Syrian hamsters into the UK ………. apparently  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 05:26:32 PM »

Did Peaches sleep last night?
Pages: [1] 2