Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hot flushes  (Read 2855 times)

coldethyl

Hot flushes
« on: January 02, 2016, 07:53:37 PM »

This is probably a daft question but what do your daytime flashes feel like? I know what I'm having during night are the typical night sweats as I wake up drenched but during day I get more of a sudden adrenaline surge from my stomach which leaves me with a burning chest and back and my face feels warm but there's no sweating. This might be a one off or I'll get a few close together which leaves me a bit on edge.

Taz2

Re: Hot flushes
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 08:36:39 PM »

Good description of daytime flushes coldethyl! Mine started like that and gradually over a couple of years developed into the same sort of hot sweat you have at night - I could set my clock by them - every twenty minutes. Mine used to start off with a sudden feeling that something awful is about to happen and then a slightly nauseous feeling or like I might suddenly need the loo followed by an increase in heartrate and finally the flush/sweat. Some women's never get any worse than what you are experiencing now though.

Taz x

coldethyl

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 08:39:24 PM »

Thanks Taz. They scare the bejesus out of me but I'm trying not to add my own adrenaline surge to the one my body is so kindly throwing my way. I feel quite nauseous when they happen as well which has been good for the diet if nothing else.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 08:49:04 PM »

You do get used to them although they are still obviously uncomfy. Once you understand the actual progression i.e. the uneasy/doom feeling, followed by the adrenaline rush and stomach feelings and then the flush you will feel more confident that it will pass in a few minutes. It was the sweats which persuaded me that I needed HRT in order to still live a "normal" life!

Taz x

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 10:55:04 PM »

I could put up with the flushes, but the sweats wore me down. Flushes would start at my feet & work their way up. By the time they got to my neck & face I'd be sweating. The flushes are not the most comfortable of things for sure.

coldethyl

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 09:52:18 AM »

Thanks ladies. The flushes seem to have increased in last few days - I didn't used to get many during day but now in double figures and the night sweats are going on all night - previously I'd wake up around 6 with the last one then be ok on proper waking but now I'm waking up at 9 ( I'm not working) burning and anxious. I just wish there was some way of knowing how far along this hideous journey I am - if it is months then I can struggle on but the thought of years of this ... No way.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 12:50:23 PM »

Hi coldethyl

Sorry to hear about your flushes and sweats - they really are debilitating and the lack of sleep is awful I know.

Whereabouts in menopause are you re periods etc and how old are you? Have you thought of HRT? Really unless you are medically contra-indicated then this would help you enormously - and there is no need to suffer. As you say there is no knowing how long symptoms go on for as some barely get any and others go on for years. Personally I opted for quality of life despite some of the disadvantages and small risks of HRT.

Here is info on the  contra-indications for HRT:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/contraindications.php

And here about the risks:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/risks.php

Hurdity x