Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Reducing the dose amd st johns wort  (Read 4099 times)

Tinkerbellj

Reducing the dose amd st johns wort
« on: January 04, 2016, 10:38:24 AM »

Ok so I have decided to reduce my hrt. I know I shouldnt but I cut my tablet in half until I can get a gp appt. It has made a big difference much better mood plus reduced cramps and body pain. Also I started st john wort really low dose again I know I shouldnt but advice here is conflicting and I feel it is helping but does upset my tummy but I will take that against the last 9 weeks I have just had. Anyone else experience of this. Going to make appt for lower dose hrt and a gel or patch rather than tablets just feel they r more gentle?  Thanks

dahliagirl

Re: Reducing the dose amd st johns wort
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 12:19:57 PM »

St Johns wort affects how your liver processes the hrt.

I took it whilst on the combined pill (before the research came out) and experienced break through bleeding each month, as not enough of the hormone was getting through.

You may find  you are reducing your dose in two ways.

limpy

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 04:09:36 PM »

Like DG says - SJW messes up the way HRT (and the COCP) is processed.
It doesn't seem a good idea to be changing more than one thing at a time anyway.
You won't know what is actually affecting what. 

I can understand you wanting to change to transdermal HRT, it's not affected by gastrointestinal things and is said to be kinder on the liver.

Why do you want to reduce your HRT dose?

Tinkerbellj

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 10:39:30 PM »

I have been on femiston 2/10 for 9 weeks and have felt completely terrible the whole time so depressed short tempered and ill with permanent period type cramps and sickness. When I stopped thw symptoms . improved almost overnight but the hot flushes returned.  I just think it is too strong I have had mirena coil with sandrena gel everol conti patch tridestra and now this. My periods were completely regular but told I was menopausal at my sons 8 week post natal check!

Tinkerbellj

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 10:41:15 PM »

Oh and the dose for sjw is three tabs a day but only taking one x I am really weird with all types of medication lol seem to react differently than the norm!

Tinkerbellj

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 10:59:09 PM »

Ok so spoke to clinic and have been changed to evetol sequi. She said I am obviously still producing hormones myself and the hrt I am on is possibly too strong. Now I did point out that my periods r still completely regular and always have been!! Anyway fingers crossed here we go again!!