Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Cutting out sweet things  (Read 12214 times)

libby1

Cutting out sweet things
« on: January 01, 2016, 08:30:16 PM »

Hi girls

Anybody tried cutting out sweet things? I don't mean going overboard and not eating savoury foods because they contain sugar, I just mean cutting out chocolate, biscuits, cakes, sweets etc.

I have a really sweet tooth but I'm going to give it a try  ::)

Libby
x

Ju Ju

Re: Cutting out sweet things
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 10:50:12 PM »

Yes! For health reasons, I followed advice and lost 2 1/2 st rather too quickly. I now have to eat some naughty things things to keep a healthy weight.  ;D

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 11:03:50 AM »

Hi libby1

Yes I did this for 3 months before Christmas and managed to lose 8 pounds in weight even though I am not much overweight and short in height.

As well as cutting out sugar (which included not eating sauces and soups that have added sugar either) I drasticallly cut down all pure carbs so I only ate bread, pasta, rice muesli or potatoes etc at one meal a day, and increased my intake of (low fat) protein and veg. I also cut down on the amount of fruit I was eating.

As well as weight loss this had an amazing effect on my blood sugar/hunger levels in that I could tell they had stabilised and I didn't get the low blood sugar shakes any more.

I would recommend this regime to anyone who experiences effects due to blood sugar changes - which happens a lot in peri-menopause due to hormonal surges - because it really helps to stabilise your insulin and maybe could help with some of the undesirable effects of very early peri or pms that are due to changes in blood sugar? Worth a try anyway. Interestingly it cured me of carb /sugar cravings although I did have the occasional tiny square of dark chocolate :)

Completely lapsed over Christmas but will restart once the Christmas period is over (6th Jan) :)

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 11:57:14 AM »

In the mid- 1990s I found that chocolate made my system feel sluggish so I stopped eating it.  Those were the days when I was walking my dog 3/4 times over many miles and we shared a bar of Cadburys.  Once I stopped I felt better.  Occaisonally I try but it has the same effect, a piece of very black chocolate is fine but I avoid other types: unless pushed  ;)

Dorothy

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 12:18:42 PM »

I usually only have one piece of cake once a week when I go to meet friends & the rest of the time avoid biscuits, cakes chocolate etc  Feel much better for it and don't miss it, though what with mince pies, Christmas cake etc, it's all gone pear-shaped over Christmas and I know I've put on weight as all my clothes feel smaller!

dazned

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 02:02:32 PM »

We are going to stop cakes chocolate etc when I have finished all the xmas stuff in house ,so intend to be good in Spring !!  ;D

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 02:49:08 PM »

We don't normally have biscuits, cakes, crisps in the house but over Xmas we have and we've eaten them all!!! I don't take sugar and never eat sweet cereals.

libby1

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 03:57:25 PM »

I'm going to try and not eat anything sweet but I do have a very sweet tooth and the house is still full of chocolates and biscuits! Will power  :-X

Libby
x

clio

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 04:12:51 PM »

We have never strolled down the biscuit isle in the supermarket and never really buy cake, my hubby loves crisps but is pretty good and only buys once in a while,  I have a huge appetite since quitting smoking (10yrs in June) and have put on around 3 stone in them 10 years, I suppose it could of be alot worse.  We are going to a chinese buffet tonight and the rest of the christmas goodies in the cupboard will be gone by the end of tomorrow.  Our healthy eating starts on Monday, ive worked out I should of lost these 3 stones in 9 months.  ;)

Clio

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 04:55:23 PM »

We have never strolled down the biscuit isle in the supermarket and never really buy cake, my hubby loves crisps but is pretty good and only buys once in a while,  I have a huge appetite since quitting smoking (10yrs in June) and have put on around 3 stone in them 10 years, I suppose it could of be alot worse.  We are going to a chinese buffet tonight and the rest of the christmas goodies in the cupboard will be gone by the end of tomorrow.  Our healthy eating starts on Monday, ive worked out I should of lost these 3 stones in 9 months.  ;)

Clio

Well done for quitting Clio.  I packed up about 11 years ago and put on over 3 stones.

I only have to look at something and I pile on weight.  I go out for a meal a few times a year with a group of about 16 women. I eat no more than anybody else, never ask for extra and seldom have a dessert or starter.  They all sit there knocking back wines and spirits and there's me with a diet coke!!

A friend of mine is a nurse and very tall and slim.  She does no exercise whatsoever and even drives to work which is maybe a brisk 10 minute walk.  She annoys me TBH because she's always on about overweight patients and how it's "eat less, move more."  ;D. She can't accept that some people are just naturally slim and some of us have to work very, very hard not to gain weight.

dahliagirl

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 05:03:59 PM »

I found that sugary things make me feel grotty these days.

I tend to stick to low GI stuff these days - new potatoes, wholegrain bread etc.  I like a little dark chocolate.

Still put 1/2 a sugar in my tea though.  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 05:05:28 PM »

I was slim due to being anorexic.  When I began to have less fear of food and started eating 'normally', I only put on half a stone once my body settled.

I have black t with 2 sugars several times a day.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 05:47:27 PM »

I found that sugary things make me feel grotty these days.

I tend to stick to low GI stuff these days - new potatoes, wholegrain bread etc.  I like a little dark chocolate.

Still put 1/2 a sugar in my tea though.  ;D

I can't bear dark chocolate although I realise it's supposed to be beneficial in very small amounts

libby1

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 06:14:54 PM »

My OH has just come in with profiteroles with chocolate sauce!!!!

I've told him that he'll have to eat them on his own  :o

Libby
x

Dana

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2016, 10:42:50 PM »

I've inadvertently lost a lot of my taste for sweet food because I started Weight Watches in November and of course have been watching what I've been eating a lot more (things sort of went a bit off the rails for Christmas and New Year admittedly).

However I now find that I can quite easily look at the dessert menu and not have any major desire to have anything, and I never have any interest in buying cakes or biscuits when I'm shopping. I still have a small hankering for chocolate, but I will just have a very small piece and be satisfied, unless of course someone sticks a whole block under my nose..lol...

Here's a little tip I've picked up from WW. If you really feel you need a sugar/sweet hit, get some pumpkin, cut it into pieces and roast it until it's really soft and sweet. You could add things to it like garlic, rosemary etc if you want to, but I prefer mine "straight with a twist of salt". Anyway, leave it in a container in the fridge and just have a couple of small pieces when you feel like it. It is so lovely and sweet, and under the WW points system it is totally zero points, and totally guilt free.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 10:46:36 PM by Dana »
Pages: [1] 2 3