Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Estradot not sticking  (Read 5635 times)

Tinkerbell

Estradot not sticking
« on: December 29, 2015, 07:26:54 PM »

After weeks of looking at the box I have decided to bite the bullet and start my HRT!
I was told to cut the patch in half for the first week, I have been prescribed 50 mcg.
But I can't get them to stay stuck, doctor said to use hip but they just keep rubbing off. I thought of my stomach but as it is a bit flabby I think I might have the same trouble.
Can you use the top of your thigh?
Also do you think they are more likely to stay put if the are not cut in half? Also I am not quite sure why I need to cut in half, is this to lessen side effects?
I really don't know what I would do without this forum ???

Taz2

Re: Estradot not sticking
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 07:35:02 PM »

Hi Tinkerbell. I'm not sure why you have been asked to cut it in half - 25 is a really low dose and you can get patches in this dosage which would be much easier than cutting it in half. I'm on Estradot 50. I always put my patches towards the top of my buttock although it does say abdomen doesn't it on the instructions but it didn't stick too well there. The important thing is not to place it anywhere near the breasts.  You have to put it onto dry skin so it's no good putting it straight on after a shower or bath which has had gel or bubbles in and definitely not on top of any body lotion. You need to hold it firmly in place with a warm palm for around thirty seconds which should get it to stick nicely. They are one of the smaller patches. This is what it says on my instruction leaflet

"The adhesive side of Estradot should be placed on a clean, dry area of the abdomen. Estradot should not be applied to the breasts.
Estradot should be replaced twice weekly. The site of application must be rotated, with an interval of at least 1 week allowed between applications to a particular site. The area selected should not be oily, damaged, or irritated. The waistline should be avoided, since tight clothing may dislodge the patch. The patch should be applied immediately after opening the sachet and removing the protective liner. The patch should be pressed firmly in place with the palm of the hand for about 10 seconds, making sure there is good contact, especially around the edges.
In the event that a patch should fall off, the same patch may be reapplied. If necessary, a new patch may be applied. In either case, the original treatment schedule should be continued. The patch may be worn during bathing.
If a woman has forgotten to apply a patch, she should apply a new patch as soon as possible. The subsequent patch should be applied according to the original treatment schedule. The interruption of treatment might increase the likelihood of irregular bleeding and spotting"

Taz x

Galadriel

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 07:49:12 PM »

Hi Tinkerbell,

I use the same patches... follow Taz's advice and you'll be fine. I've only ever lost one. It was wooshed off my butt cheek in the run-off from a flume ride. The last bit was quite a high drop ;D

I have a flabby tummy with loads of big stretch marks and I can stick 'em with no problem. Just avoid waistbands and knicker elastic.

Hope this helps.

Galadriel x

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 08:48:46 PM »

I warm the patch with the palm of my hand for a couple of minutes, making sure I have placed it away from edges and seams of my pants. Sometimes it sticks so well that I find it difficult to remove! I place it on my bottom cheek, as that suits me.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 05:07:30 PM »

Hi Tinkerbell

I've been using these for years and rarely lose them. Like Ju Ju I always stick to butt cheeks but away from knicker line and the tops of all my low waisted jeans. Make sure you undo all your zips etc when going to the loo rather than slithering it down without undoing which is what I tend to do sometimes!

I also agree about the cutting. I have recently added a third of a 37.5 mcg patch to my 50 mcg patch and the cut portions don't stick as well ( mind you they are very very small!).

When I first started I went straight to the 50 mcg - but I was still peri-menopausal so the added oestrogen was not a shock to the system and I felt well within weeks with no side effects (except from the progestogen in the first type I tried).

Hurdity x

Pollie

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 05:51:32 PM »

Two things affect the adhesive quality of patches......

Very dry skin - 'exfoliate' the area a few hours before use, soak in the bath and rub hard with the towel.

Very oily skin - scrub hard with shower/bath soap and rub hard with towel a few hours before use.

Press hard and keep a warm hand on patch for a minute or two afterwards.

Job done.

Estradot are the best.

Pollie

Ju Ju

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 07:00:19 PM »

I have very dry skin. Exfoliating, soaking in the bath and rubbing hard with a towel are the worst things you could do for dry skin.

I have no problem sticking the patch on clean, dry skin. Just warm it with your palm for a couple of minutes. And I often put the patch on soon after a shower.

I have been given whatever is available at the pharmacy as my prescription doesn't specify the make of patch, which worried me at first, but I don't think it has made any difference.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 07:33:28 PM »

Hurdity...if I just start with 50mcg and not cutting the patch in half am I likely :-\ to get side effects?  Last period I had was 9 months ago , really anxious about side effects as my young daughter is unwell and I don't want to feel groggy/anxious or dizzy or is that progesterone side effects  :-\

Pollie

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 09:22:57 PM »

I have very dry skin. Exfoliating, soaking in the bath and rubbing hard with a towel are the worst things you could do for dry skin.

Generally speaking yes I would agree totally -

But where you want the patch to stick needs to be free of dead skin cells, otherwise the patch sticks to the dead dry skin and comes away early. A little like flouring the work surface before you roll pastry  ;)   you don't want any flour there !!

You want neither moisturised skin nor 'dry' skin for the patch to stick for longest.

I have very dry skin and found that other brands (femseven etc) do not stay on as well as estradot.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 12:53:02 PM »

Thank you all for your help and suggestions 😀
Decided to stick the whole patch on and 24 hours later it is still firmly stuck.
I am starting the utrogestan tonight,forgot to do that last night as it was a late night. Not looking forward to taking that as I am on the 100mg every day routine, but will just have to see how that goes.