Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Day 30 of cycle and no period?  (Read 4310 times)

GypsyRoseLee

Day 30 of cycle and no period?
« on: December 24, 2015, 11:10:31 AM »

I came off the BCP 5 weeks ago and had quite a heavy (well, for me) withdrawal bleed a few days later.

Despite then going back onto 50mg patches my mood has been consistently very low, with none of the usual 'good days/week' I usually have.

I didn't bother taking any Utro on Days 15-26 as I assumed my own progesterone would kick in and cause a natural period.

Except it hasn't! I had a few period like cramps last week but nothing happened. It's now been 30 days of this cycle with zero sign of a period arriving. I have never gone this long between bleeds either before HRT or when I was on it.

I'm wondering if I just won't have a period this time, and maybe this is why my mood has stayed very low for the last month?

I am seeing my GP to get a repeat script for HRT, and I'll start the Utro after Boxing Day to shed my womb lining.

Or alternatively I don't know whether to not bother with any Utro and just keep pre loading with patches until I see Annie Evans in 10 weeks time.

Any advice from you lovely ladies?

Briony

Re: Day 30 of cycle and no period?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 10:09:16 PM »

This happened to me on more than one occasion. Presume you have either not ovulated or not enough estrogen build up to need a bleed? Will be interesting to see what happens when you take theUtro? B

Galadriel

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 05:37:33 PM »

This happens all the time to me, even on patches. It's normal.

No idea what to advise re the utrogestan... either option is viable.

Galadriel x

jedigirl

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 10:45:35 PM »

Hi GRL
If this is the regime you want to use I would be tempted to use the Utro to get into a settled pattern. I have been on Utro and Oestrogel in one form or another since last March and it has taken at least 7 months to feel almost back to my old self.
jedigirl

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 09:53:42 AM »

Hi jedigirl

Well out of the blue my period started in the night. The signs were there I guess, the extreme tiredness yesterday but then couldn't fall asleep for ages last night. Those signs have been there a few times before lately.

I suppose it shows I still have plenty of my own hormones I guess?

Long term I think the gel and Utro would be the kinder option. I am surprised it has taken so many months to start working for you (and a bit disheartened) because on Prof Studd's site he says his patients typically see a big reduction in their hormonal mood symptoms after the first cycle of high dose oestrogen etc.

jedigirl

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 10:19:34 AM »

Gel
Hope your period means you feel better and yr mood lifts.
Don't be disheartened, I did feel immediate benefits but it has taken time to feel the full effects.  I do think I had been having symptoms for a few years without realising what was going on so it's reasonable to expect things to take time to settle. Also it has helped being on Citalopram for the anxiety, the Hrt  did nothing for that.
Fingers crossed you feel more comfy now xx

jedigirl

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 10:19:42 AM »

Gel
Hope your period means you feel better and yr mood lifts.
Don't be disheartened, I did feel immediate benefits but it has taken time to feel the full effects.  I do think I had been having symptoms for a few years without realising what was going on so it's reasonable to expect things to take time to settle. Also it has helped being on Citalopram for the anxiety, the Hrt  did nothing for that.
Fingers crossed you feel more comfy now xx

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 11:33:58 AM »

I really, really hope this means I will get a mood lift shortly too. It's been a very bleak and depressed 5 weeks, I must say.

An AD might still be an option for me but I seem to react badly to SSRIs. I tried Sertraline last year but after 4 weeks on it I felt so much worse, even suicidal. I tried Mirtrazapine 6 weeks ago and after a few days in it started to feel worse, then had a really nasty panic attack after I'd been taking it for about 10 days.

So I am very nervous of trying another one to be honest.

jedigirl

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 11:46:58 AM »

I didn't like Sertraline either made me weepy. Citalopram suits me but understand yr concerns, low mood and anxiety were one of my last symptoms so had to try it. Hope you find an answer, it's miserable to feel so low x

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 12:24:21 PM »

What do you mean that the low mood and anxiety were your last symptoms? Do you mean they were the last to go?

I still often wonder if an AD would help me more? All my peri symptoms are to do with mood, anxiety and occasional insomnia. Have never had a hot flush or VA or anything like that.

But I feel that an AD (if I could find one I could tolerate) would just mask my symptoms not cure the cause. Then again, I wouldn't care so long as I felt consistently better and no more mood swings.

But back when I had PND, I was on ADs for 3 years (tried Prozac and Sertraline) and I disliked bow they made me feel quite detached and emotionless. They stopped me cryi g but stopped me really giggling too.

jedigirl

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 05:43:09 PM »

Yes found I was still anxious when all my other symptoms were subsiding. It took the ADs to sort that out. I don't feel detached and can have real days of joy now x

jedigirl

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 07:14:50 PM »

PS bear in  mind anxiety in itself causes many symptoms, palpitations, low mood, stomach upsets, dizziness. Maybe you think about which symptoms are still affecting your life the most. If it is low mood maybe it is worth exploring a different AD.
xx

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2015, 07:44:00 PM »

Certainly all my peri symptoms have been psychological. Episodes of very low mood mixed with anxiety, which appear and disappear out of the blue. I've never had any physical symptoms like hot flushes or VA. The only physical symptoms I had were that my periods suddenly got much lighter and only lasting 2-3 days.

jedigirl

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2015, 08:24:58 PM »

Sounds very much like my anxiety and although it's certainly hormone related I couldn't have coped on HRT alone. Obviously we're all different butg you may want to explore further?