Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: menopause misery  (Read 3412 times)

theresalou

menopause misery
« on: January 11, 2016, 02:13:01 PM »

Hi Thought I would share my experience as so many posts on here have helped keep me going.
Last August I was fine normal and Having a normal life-then was told had to come off hrt because of frequent migraines(since found out this is only a problem if you have aura-I don't) was told to just stop as was on low dose- WOW everything then spiralled out of control, I ended up in A&E was so ill with nausea and wretching, unable to eat, my weight has dropped to 7.5st from 9st- I feared the worse because of the weight loss, had scans endoscopy blood tests all normal . after two months i slowly started to recover and put a little weight back on even went back to work for two days, but went to see doc as was feeling increasingly anxious put on Sertraline, only took two pills and reacted very badly another trip to A&E- that was Nov 2015 and the anxiety just got worse and worse to the point I was frightened to be on my own! so was then given a full ct and brain scan - all normal. During the worst of it I really thought I would never recover or do normal things again I was a complete gibbering mess, Christmas kinda passed us by, my husband has been an absolute rock thro this. Am now on Mirtazapine 45mg at night and need Lorazapam thro the day. Am now back on HRT but only just into second month, so early days. I am now having more good than bad days but still feel I have a long way to go and am a long way from being 'me' again. But all through this the medical profession has said not connected to coming of HRT- even tho this all started about 9 days after stopping it.but haven't given any explanation for it. I am still struggling to put any weight back on as the anxiety upsets my stomach and i have frequent diarhoea and am now being referred to the local mental health team. so fed up and still not back at work.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 04:50:59 PM by theresalou »

Dorothy

Re: menopause misery
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 02:57:33 PM »

Hello,

So sorry you have been having such an awful time.  It's good that the MM forum has helped a little.  I don't have any advice to offer, just wanted to sympathise and say I hope you are able to get back to being 'you' again very soon. x

coldethyl

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 03:03:02 PM »

Sorry you're having such a rough time. Menopausal anxiety sucks and I know when it strikes how quickly I go downhill so hopefully once the HRT gets back in your system you'll feel more like yourself again.

theresalou

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 04:42:43 PM »

Thank you for your kinds words. I just wish the doctors would admit they messed up not telling me to gradually come off the hrt as I am 100% convinced had i stayed on it none of this would have happened and me and my family would not have been put thro so much. The cost to my health and loss of earnings from both myself and my husband has just mounted and mounted! Just want someone to say yep we got it wrong!
Theresa. x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 05:24:15 PM »

Hi theresalou

:welcomemm:

How terrible that you have had such a dreadful time unnecessarily, and especially through ignorance!

Yes - many of us are on HRT for the long term. I am in my early 60's and been on HRT for nearly 9 years now and don't intend to stop any time soon - health permitting.

How old are you, and how long had you been on HRT, and when did your menopause start? Also what preparation did you use and what are you on now?  Transdermal HRT (ie patches or gel) rather than tablets, is better as we get older and also for migraine sufferers.

Hopefully with the right preparation of HRT you will stabilise and won't need to take the ADs etc which you probably didn't need in the first place, as your problems were hormonal not psychological. How long have you been taking the ADs?

So very sorry again to hear about this and hope you will be back to your normal menopausal self (ie how you were on HRT) soon!! :)

Hurdity x

theresalou

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 05:57:10 PM »

Hi Hurdity,
I am 53 and meno prob last three years, been on hrt last 2yrs, started on elleste duet1mg at first and migraines were few and far between, then got fed up with the bleeding so was changed to a cont combined one which i think was kilovance? this made migraines worse so asked to go back to elleste and that when the woman gp(not my gp) said i was at high risk of stroke and couldn't be on hrt- NOT what the migraine trust says!! any way the upshot is am now back on elleste duet but 2mg this time but only after I insisted! My gp is normally fantastic, but i think he may have been a bit out of his depth with meno(he only in his thirties and don,t think he had come across this before).and yes I think your right about the AD so hope soon wont need them.
T. x