Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Fibromyalgia  (Read 4471 times)

Tinkerbellj

Fibromyalgia
« on: December 21, 2015, 10:27:15 AM »

Anyone else have fibro? Is menopause makin it worse????

Taz2

Re: Fibromyalgia
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 11:59:50 AM »

There are quite a few members with fibro, me included, so if you use the search button in the blue bar top left of the screen it will bring up any posts on this.

I'm on HRT so can't really work out whether mine is worse due to meno or not. I believe that stress has a lot to do with the symptoms flaring up though so becoming menopausal would fit in well with this!

How are you fibro-wise at the moment?

Taz x

Briony

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 09:04:48 PM »

I dont have Fibro, but it was initially assumed I did (or else MS) as my symptoms - fatigue, tingling, back ache, nerve pain, numbness, headaches were not obviously hormonal. Had lots of tests, scans etc all of which revealed nothing. It wasnt until a year or so later that a neurologist suggested I had my hormone levels taken and that's when it was found I had very low estrogen (fsh was normal). I wasted over a year taking drugs meant for Fibro when in fact it was something totally different that my body needed.
Since then, I have been told that estrogen affects over 250 different functions/parts of our bodies - yet still, many doctors only seem to recognise the more common symptoms like flushes and dryness.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 09:08:00 PM »

It's really frustrating when menopause isn't taken into account for various symptoms. What medications were you given for Fibro Briony? It's always interesting to hear of possible treatments for what can be a really debilitating condition.

Taz x

Briony

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 09:16:30 PM »

It's really frustrating when menopause isn't taken into account for various symptoms. What medications were you given for Fibro Briony? It's always interesting to hear of possible treatments for what can be a really debilitating condition.

Taz x

I started with Amitriptyline for what they thought was just a trapped nerve. Then moved to Cymbalta once they realised it was more than just one part of the body affected. This is a fairly new AD which has been seen to help some Fibro sufferers. Doctor wanted me to take Gabapentin or Pregablin (sp?) later on, but by that time I realised it was hormonal, so started hrt instead.
I read a lot about Fibro and MS initially when I seemed to have so many of the symptoms and now often remind myself, when I am having a 'hormonal moment'  (and feeling sorry for myself) how lucky I am to have something so much less severe!

Louisa

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 08:07:26 AM »

Yes I also have fibro too.  It's very debilitating, scary and I don't like it one little bit.   :'(

Also, CFS and Hypothyroidism  ::)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 08:20:15 AM by Louisa »

Bettyboo

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 09:04:46 AM »

My initial (and only) diagnosis was Fibro. This was when I presented with joint aches moving about all over body, palpitations and anxiety. However, other than routine bloods and some poking and prodding by the GP I had no other testing. I do have the pressure points though and costochondritis (rib pain, caused by computer in my case).

I've never really accepted the diagnosis (HA) and once I found this forum I realised that a lot of the symptoms could also be meno-related. Never had any medication offered other than ibuprofen, naproxen or paracetamol. At the moment I am going through a phase that could be described as a fibro 'flare' (pain all down left side, etc.) but equally could be hormonal or muscular. Fed up with it all really  :(

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 11:24:17 AM »

The info on the Arthritis Research UK site can be helpful - at least to understand what's happening in the body http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/conditions/fibromyalgia/causes.aspx

I was first diagnosed with M.E. in 1998 but after research by myself I felt that fibro was more likely and the GP agreed. I was referred to a rheumatologist and then a neurologist to rule out other conditions. It seems that you have to have the tender points - which I have - but the guidelines changed in around 2010 I think to include pain in other places. I find the fatigue the worst part but I've learnt to pace myself over the years and am much better than I was except in times of stress when the symptoms return really quickly. It is frustrating and annoying. My future daughter in law has it but can only go out if she uses a wheelchair. It's very sad to see her so afflicted at a young age. The mind is a powerful tool in coping with the illness though. That's not to say that it is "all in the mind" but definitely a positive attitude does help.

Taz x  :)

Machair

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 02:25:20 PM »

I have very severe ME brought on by a virus related to polio. I was literally flawed in 2 hours- went form normal healthy 36 year old to disabled within a day. That was almost 20 years ago- it caused an infection of the heart, then brain, then autonomic nervous system, then it took away my ability to spell words or to sit or stand. I was in bed for 3 years - have recovered to a degree, but have a lot of severe symptoms including an inability to sleep, orthostatic intolerance, vertigo, temperature problems, severe IBS and many others.

Louisa

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 04:01:29 PM »

I also have a really good book - it includes fibro in it too.

Chronic fatigue Syndrome by Dr Sarah Myhill.