Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Period finished but still have raging PMT?? Normal?  (Read 4491 times)

Jupiter

• First Flush
Period finished but still have raging PMT?? Normal?
« on: December 08, 2015, 03:41:53 PM »

Hello

I'm almost 49 and have been experiencing some expected symptoms lately that suggest I'm getting somewhat menopausal....hot flushes, mood swings, night sweat, periods lasting longer/shorter etc. however this month something has happened that I've not experienced so far and I wondered if anyone else can relate to it.
My last period finished about a week ago, it was a bit lighter than normal but definitely there! However, I still feel like I do when it is about to start....really sore breasts, tearful, some period type pain. Normally as soon as my period starts, all this disappears, but not this time! I feel like I'm about to have another period straight after the last one! I've seen the GP and she says this is most likely a sign that I am in that phase of my life now and not to worry but I can't help worrying, particularly about the breast soreness.
Any thoughts or suggestions most welcome!

honorsmum

Re: Period finished but still have raging PMT?? Normal?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 04:09:00 PM »

I'm nearly 46 and having similar issue.
My cycle can be as short as 20 days, which means that by the time one period has finished, I'm virtually ovulating again...with all the anxiety and tenderness that comes with it!
This month, my cycle was 30 days and I felt rubbish for 2 weeks before it started.
Not nice, is it?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 04:24:21 PM by honorsmum »

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 09:34:12 PM »

Yes I was like that as I turned 44. Had several months were PMS just seemed to last the whole month, plus I suddenly started suffering with anxiety, completely out of the blue.

Machair

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 09:47:58 AM »

I actually have had this, and think it is actually due to high levels of oestrogen. In peri oestrogen levels are erratic and they don't fall to a low level all the time until 1-2 years after the last flow, in fact they can at times be twice the level of a lady in her 20s at ovulation. High oestrogen can feel like PMT so this may be what you have.The articles below may help

http://www.cemcor.ubc.ca/ask/could-i-be-perimenopause
http://www.cemcor.ubc.ca/resources/perimenopause-ovary%E2%80%99s-frustrating-grand-finale

Jupiter

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 02:18:57 PM »

Thank you for your replies ladies. It helps so much to know that I'm not alone in feeling this way. Still have very sore breasts despite having finished my last period ten days ago!!
Most of the time I'm managing to accept that it is normal but I keep having a bit of a panic that it is something far far more sinister! I wish I could put these thoughts out of my mind. I'm sure that pain on both sides is evidence that it is NOT a sign of cancer but I've even managed to worry myself into thinking I could be pregnant! My husband had a vasectomy years ago (although we never had it tested!) so I think that's pretty unlikely but just now the rational part of my brain seems to have up and left me!!

Dorothy

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 09:03:09 AM »

Health anxiety can be one of the symptoms...I went through a stage of thinking every ache or pain was a major illness, though I'm not so bad now (and have also learned it's my hormones making me think this way, so I just tell them to stop fussing!)

SadLynda

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 10:16:49 AM »

Also 49 with symptoms.  Anxiety and low mood being a very big factor for me, also lost the rational side of my brain altogether.

Changed GP twice before getting help, now on AD's to help and regret not doing this sooner.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 01:31:04 PM »

Hi Jupiter

:welcomemm:

You might like to have a look at the article on this website about theperi-menopause which tells you about the changes going on in your body at this time. As has been said - the extreme fluctuations in hormones are responsible for all sorts of symptoms unfortunately - some like pms,  some due to oestrogen surges, and some worse than anything before experienced!

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

I also suffered from painful (and lumpy) breasts intermittently throughout my fertile life and especially during peri-menopause.

Hurdity x

Jupiter

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 03:11:24 PM »

Thanks everyone. What a great forum this is!

Dorothy

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 08:16:38 AM »

I also suffered from painful (and lumpy) breasts intermittently throughout my fertile life and especially during peri-menopause.

Suffered?  Past tense?  Does that mean you don't get that any more?  I'm the same (whenever my GP asks if I check for lumps regularly, I always feel like saying "how am I supposed to spot a new one?"!) and would love to think I could wave goodbye to the pain (if not the lumps) once I've gone through peri.  Any hope of that?

Jupiter

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 05:34:16 AM »

Day 18 and still horribly sore......but......period has started! Never thought that would make me happy but it does because I finally believe that all this stuff going on is peri! Woo hoo!