Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Buying Oestrogel and Utrogestan over the counter in Spain  (Read 5642 times)

Mary G

Buying Oestrogel and Utrogestan over the counter in Spain
« on: December 15, 2015, 07:59:55 PM »

This subject has just been mentioned on another thread so I thought I would start a new thread dedicated to it.

Many of us on here, myself included, are on private prescriptions and are forking out £8.00 a throw on Oestrogel and I thought this might be of interest to those who would like to save money.

You can buy Oestrogel over the counter in Spanish pharmacies and it costs about €4.00 per 80 gram tube.  It is exactly the same as the UK gel but it is called Oestraclin and it comes in a tube in a red and white box.  It is not a pump mechanism, it is like an old fashioned toothpaste tube with a slide and you simply squirt the gel onto the slide.  One entire slide = two pumps and half a slide = one pump.  All pharmacies usually have at least one tube in stock but you can order several tubes and it can usually be delivered to the pharmacy the next day for you to collect. 

You can also buy boxes of Utrogestan (both 100 mg and 200 mg) over the counter and that also costs about €4.00 for a box of 30 capsules. 

I am not encouraging people to self medicate, this is simply a way of saving money if are on private prescriptions and you happen to be going to Spain on holiday.

Something to bear in mind next time you are planning a holiday!

evey

Re: Buying Oestrogel and Utrogestan over the counter in Spain
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 09:24:03 PM »

That is really useful to know, I often go over to Spain and did not know this, will definitely enquire when o go on January, thanks for the info.
C

ellie66

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 11:40:13 PM »

Mary Thank you ever so much for this. My step father lives in Spain. It is even cheaper than an NHS prescription. Can you buy GYnest crean or Ovestin cream or indeed any vaginal treatments?

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 06:11:28 PM »

Ellie66, you can certainly buy topical HRT OTC but I don't know what the brand names are.  The best thing to do is to take your existing box into the pharmacy is ask for something similar with exactly the same strength.