Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Oestrogen and anxiety  (Read 8815 times)

dogdoc

Re: Oestrogen and anxiety
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2015, 02:44:19 AM »

rebelyell....I know mine is a minority voice, but yes I think estrogen can cause anxiety. I have been experimenting with hormones for over a year now, and when I'm off hormones 100% just me, my 'ovulation' time is the time at at my most anxious. Internally jittery. PVC's etc. All come at 'ovulation'.

I also have some anxiety a few days before my period. I have tried progesterone several times and every time after I stop progesterone I get quite severe anxiety 1-2 days later.
For me I think high estrogen, and progesterone withdrawal cause my anxiety symptoms. If I slap on an estrogen patch anytime days 10-14 ( when my own estrogen is at is highest) I get EXTREME anxiety, chills, internal vibrations etc. Estrogen acts like bit of a stimulant. Progesterone is a depressant ( a bit like a benzodiazapene actually).

I feel quite calm and zen when taking progesterone, but coming off of it is HELL.

So although I do think my overall level of estrogen is lower as I got through this transition. I think that I'm still getting estrogen 'spikes' ( very common in peri...sometimes our estrogen is higher than it was when we were 20) and this is causing one set of symptoms. The rapid 'crash' of estrogen after ovulation causes a whole other set ( hot flashes etc).

The mix of all the hormones and neurotransmitters is so complex. Sometimes I think it's just way to simple to say menopause= falling estrogen. It's this big bag of altered estrogen, progesterone, ratios, testosterone, thyroid hormone, and it's being bound, cortisol, serotonin, DHEA....the list is endless and all interconnected.

Hoping it settles Sigh....all that to say..yes I agree. Estrogen ( for me) can cause anxiety.
Tara

Kathleen

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2015, 09:19:00 AM »

Hello ladies.

I have also been wondering if my anxiety is being caused by oestrogen. I am post meno  and using Evorel Conti 50 mcg patches. I have all the anxiety troubles of internal jitters etc but I also feel flushy and generally on edge. I have recently started cutting a corner off the patch but I haven't noticed much difference so far.

I think dogdoc you are correct, the system is so complex and menopause means all the ratios are altered. All I am certain of is that I am heartily sick of trying to feel better!

Take care everyone.

K.

Hurdity

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2015, 08:26:45 PM »

I agree the endocrine system is very complex and we probably don't know the half of it!

Kathleen - I suggest your symptoms may be oestrogen getting low or the side effects of continuous synthetic progestogen. Norethisterone is notorious for causing problems and even if you don't get obvious side effects you are taking it every single day and it can attenuate some of the beneficial effects of oestrogen so I've read. Notwithstanding donnacrichton's apparent sensitivity to even small doses of oestrogen - this is unusual and at post-menopause 50 mcg is not a high dose at all. In your position Kathleen I would try using a different preparation - for example utrogetsan - which although there are side effects may not cause anxiety in quite the same way.

Very high oestrogen - such as you're describing dogdoc is different altogether - and I don't know what the "standard" symptoms are of this. For example during early peri if you are having an oestrogen spike and you add to it with a patch (to try to even out the lows) - I don't know what effect this would have had on me!

A few years back on here we used to describe oestrogen as "the uplifting hormone" and progesterone as the "depressive" hormone just as you say dogdoc! I am sure in small doses some women find progesterone calming, and the progesterone withdrawal is not so much a negation of any beneficial effects, (or effects not really felt by some women) but the reversal of physiological changes that it induces to maintain a pregnancy - and as you say like a benzo drug, withdrawal from high dose of prog is like drug withdrawal - not that one should stay on it, but it is a stage that has to be gone through!

Oh dear I'm rambling again!

Hurdity x

Kathleen

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2015, 09:57:29 AM »

Hello ladies.

Dogdoc. -  I totally sympathise with your  situation and I hope you find relief soon.

Hurdity -  Many thanks for your comments ( I always enjoy your rambles lol ). You have certainly given me food for thought and I will dig out my old diaries to check how I felt when I used Utrogestan briefly last year.

Searching my archives as I call it will probably throw up more questions so I'm bound to be back on the forum asking for advice in the near future!

Wishing everyone well.

K.
Pages: 1 [2]