Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Terrible mood swings on progesterone  (Read 5360 times)

elainewin

Terrible mood swings on progesterone
« on: December 15, 2015, 03:33:43 PM »

I have just completed my second month on climagest 1mg, and the last 7 days of it has made my mood swings unbearable to me and everyone around me i cant even bare to be in the same room as anyone . Tom i start my third pkt of clmagest but i cant do a third month on this type of progesterone, does any one know if i should up the dose to 2mg or just change the type of HRT .
I didnt really have mood swings or depression before HRT just night sweats and insomnia, the night sweats stopped more or less straight away ,the insomnia is worse than its ever been and the mood swings are horrendous . when i first spoke to my GP she said see how you go and we can either up the dose or change the type . im so confused and know i cant do this much longer. any body with there experiences on what to expect on a higher dose would be great ,as i need to get it right next time or perhaps realise HRT is not for me ,i know were all different but still interested in peoples opinions . :'(

GypsyRoseLee

Re: Terrible mood swings on progesterone
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 03:48:02 PM »

I do sympathise. I don't know what type of progesterone is in Climatest, but whatever progesterone is in the Marvelon BCP sent me to a very, very dark and frightening place which I never, ever want to go to again.

I felt really good for the first 3 weeks on it, but going into the 2nd packet the depression and anxiety came back and just got worse and worse. I stood it for 2 weeks, but felt so desperate that I stopped taking it.

Have you tried Utrogestan? It's bio identical to our own progesterone and is better tolerated by most women.

elainewin

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 04:14:09 PM »

thanks gypsyroselee yes a very dark place it starting to scare me how i feel flip at the slightest thing, one day im ok then im not just a monster, not going to wait till end of pkt 3 , yes ive been reading other peoples reviews and utrogestan comes up a lot, this will be my last attempt as i never ever want to feel how i did yesterday was scary.

Niamh

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 04:19:11 PM »

I agree with GRL, I'm prog intolerant and I felt like this when I had a mirena fitted, I was in such a dark place I lasted 48 hours and paid a huge amount of money to get a gynae to get it out of my body. I suffer with terrible PMT and all the symptoms you mention, Im seeing Prof Studd and using utrogestan, it was ok when I took it but Ive had big problems since stopping but thats a whole other story! It does seem to be the one to ask for though for those of us who suffer terribly with prog.

elainewin

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 04:28:35 PM »

Thank you Niamh im so grateful for all your replys, im def making an appointment with Gp monday i will never take that type of progesterone again,as from tom i will be on the estrogen on its own for the next 16 days so gives me some time to get things right for me ..Merry Christmas to you all  8) 

Mary G

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 06:27:49 PM »

elainewin, your HRT contains norethisterone, a synthetic progestin, which would probably explain why you have reacted badly to it. 

I can't take norethisterone at all and for me it causes silent migraines so perhaps in your case it causes extreme mood swings.  You have obviously given the Climagest a fair trial so perhaps now is the time to think about changing to a different HRT. 

My suggestion would be to go onto a transdermal oestrogen (patches or gel) and then take Utrogestan vaginally for a few days every month.  Utrogestan a bio identical progesterone is far better when taken vaginally because it works better, i.e. more of it reaches the womb, and also it has fewer side effects when taken in this way.   

Having been around the block on this one and tried many different types of HRT, this is the regime I would personally recommend. 

elainewin

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 06:38:39 PM »

Thank you Mary G what you have just said is exactly what i had on my mind. reading everyone,s experiences, im going to write these things down in case i cant find this thread next week . again thank you means a lot  :D :D :D

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 06:40:39 PM »

Hi elainewin

As Mary G said ( and I said to you last month and I think Dancinggirl too!) - the progestogen is norethisterone and we expressed surprise back then, that you were given the same one as you had before (Elleste?) when you experienced side effects - so it's no wonder this type is affecting you too.

I notice you also had stomach problems and we have recommended transdermal HRT several times so hopefully you will now be able to request this from your doctor.

The only transdermal combi HRT is Femseven sequi - but this progestogen is also synthetic - but I know some women are fine on it. Also the patches are only changed once a week so this may not be ideal ( re stickability).

Like Mary G I use the bio-identical progesterone Utrogestan (exceptas I am older and in my 60's I now take norethisterone once a year to make sure my lining doesn't get too thick) along with oestrogen patches and I have alwasy been fine on this combo.

Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

Hurdity x

elainewin

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 06:59:47 PM »

HI Hurdity yes thanks you did advice me in the earlier days but i tried to give it more time but as this was my second pk and the last 12 days on the northisterone has been awful im not willing to give it another month. It was,nt me on elleste this is my first time on HRT, I am thankful for every ones input ,I just wanted more opinions so it helps me to make a decision before GPs next week.

Sunnydays

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 07:13:05 PM »

Can I just add my bit to this whole progesterone bit! Just to say I totally sympathise and it's horrid how these chemicals (or whatever they are!) can make you feel. I noticed the thread on how awful some ladies are feeling after finishing taking utrogestan and I'm similar with Provera - finished the 12 days of it 8 days ago and i feel just awful - low mood, skin and hair dreadful 😂 I didn't feel like this whilst taking it, although my sleep wasn't good as the 12 days wore on; just when I stopped taking it!
It does go to show you have to trial and error to find the right one as certainly not one size fits all. Utrogestan does look the lesser of the evils and fortunately I have family bringing me some over from Spain as I don't think I can go thru feeling like this again!
Off load over! :))

elainewin

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 07:24:50 PM »

Yes Sunnydays that why im asking the same question over and over again, I have no experience in what is good or bad , just going by what the majority has to say,I have now made up my mind to go the transdermel route  and vaginal It may end up not suiting me either but worth one more go before alternative menopause routes  :D