Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Starting Estriol patches  (Read 3746 times)

scoobylyn

Starting Estriol patches
« on: December 07, 2015, 12:42:19 AM »

Hi everyone.  I have recently started on estriol patches.  My periods stopped 2 yrs ago after a miscarriage age 47. Doctors now say I'm peri-menopausal.  I've suffered for the past year with vaginal problems, mainly very painful intercourse, dryness, burning etc.  A hysteroscopy showed a benign polyp that was removed 2 months ago.  I've had minor improvement taking vagifem until the GP took me off them in favour of estriol cream, which did nothing. 

Just over a week ago I saw another GP who prescribed estriol patches.  I've not really had any symptoms for the first week, on Thursday I put the second patch on.  Saturday morning I woke to blood everywhere.  I bled for the first day, and now it's just spotting. 

Is this normal? I've not really a clue what I'm supposed to feel it not feel being on the patches.  Obviously, I'm hoping my ladybits start to improve. 

Look forward to hearing others experiences. 

Nina

Re: Starting Estriol patches
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 01:52:12 PM »

Gosh scooby don't worry I use vagifem and also am on estradot 100 patches. The cream was rubbish for me too. Go and get it changed back!! Yes your bits should improve overall with the hrt alone but some ladies (me) need both. I'm 43 and no way am I having shrivelled up bits   ;)

As for the bleeding well I'm not sure. I know that spotting bleeding in the first few months is common. Have you been given progesterone too?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 04:11:10 PM »

scoobylyn - welcome to MM
If you haven't had a period for 2 years then you should be deemed post meno?!!!! In which case you should probably be on full systemic HRT to help prevent the vaginal atrophy and protect your heart and bones - you are too young to be oestrogen deficient.
Are you in the UK? Are Estriol patches oestrogen only? In which case you will need some progesterone to protect you womb lining.  If these patches are a combination of oestrogen and progesterone then this will be why you got some bleeding and this is normal in the first few weeks or even months.
Do tell us what is in the patches you have been given.  Systemic oestrogen should help your 'lady bits' but it may take a few weeks. DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 05:02:59 PM »

Hi scoobylyn

:welcomemm: from me too.

I presume you mean oestrogen patches as in Estradiol? Estriol is only available as a vaginal cream for vaginal issues which you have been using.

I agree with the others - you should have been given some form of combi patches eg Evorel conti (this is most likely the type you have been given) which is a combination of oestrogen and progestogen. Even though you are post-menopausal often there can be a slight build up of uterus lining in the following couple of years before oestrogen finally reaches its lowest level so the bleeding initially is likely to be due to this - as Dancinggirl says it should settle.

I would still use either estriol or vagifem for this area as it does the job best (re VA) and exactly where it is needed.

Hurdity x

scoobylyn

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 10:56:01 PM »

It's femseven conti patches I've been given.  The doctor didn't want to prescribe anything else to go with this until I've given it a chance to work.  I explained my main symptoms are vaginal atrophy but also wanted to see if hrt improved the fibromyalgia symptoms I have a this has significantly increased since periods stopped 2yrs ago. 

So far haven't noticed significant changes since being on the patch, but I'm only on the 3rd one. 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 08:23:04 AM »

Hi scoobylyn
If you have been post meno for a while your hormone levels will have been quite low and it can take up to 6 months to really get the benefit of systemic HRT.  Be patient - hopefully the HRt will start to work it's magic soon.  Expect some weird aches, pains and sensations as your body responds and welcomes the hormones. 
DG x