Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Online banking  (Read 5792 times)

Stellajane

Online banking
« on: December 15, 2015, 08:40:33 AM »

Just a heads up to watch your online banking at this time of year.

Some scumbag managed to access my account bypassing two level passwording. They left a message saying that someone had mistakenly transferred 4k into my account so press here if this was known by me to be an error - you know the usual press this link type scam!

Presumably if I had pressed the link they would then have had access to clear out my account. I was on to Lloyd's fraud dept straight away. From their reaction this was a new one on them! They felt it may be because I accessed their website via 'favourites' and advised typing in the whole www address in every time in future.

These scams are getting highly sophisticated so we all need to be on the ball. It's left me with a very sour taste in my mouth about using online banking again. In fact I only ever really used it to check my balances but even so!

I'm with BT for my internet and pay for their premium internet security, but it just didn't pick this scam up before the event I'm afraid.

Ju Ju

Re: Online banking
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 09:08:13 AM »

Thank you. I hope your bank took this very seriously. To be able to get through their security measures is appalling. To get into my account I have to use one of those number pads thingies, which drives me up the wall, but if it works.... But it does mean I don't check my account as often as I would if it was easier.

Dorothy

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 05:45:34 PM »

I've never used online banking since I found out that a friend who worked in online banking wouldn't use it himself as he didn't think it was secure enough!!!

Dana

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 05:57:56 AM »

Online banking itself is usually pretty safe. It's more the way the customer accesses it that's the problem, eg I would never use a wireless connection (even a secure one) to do online banking. The hackers are just too good at being able to get your information when it's just floating around in the ether. I have a cable connection at home, and I have absolutely no intentions of going wireless.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 06:05:05 AM by Dana »

Dorothy

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 08:10:15 AM »

I pay regular bills by SO or DD set up by post or by going to my bank in person.  I don't do much internet shopping, but what I do is paid for by credit card and my bank is pretty good at flagging up unusual transactions.  Anything else is done by cash.  Will only do internet banking when the last high street branch closes!

Dorothy

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 08:09:21 AM »

I agree.  Only last week I heard a horrifying story of a women in a refuge who had kept her mobile phone with her so she could call friends, not knowing that the type of phone enabled people to track your whereabouts very precisely - her husband, who had attempted to kill her before and was still wanting to, was able to work out where she was - fortunately, the police were able to intervene and protect her before the worst happened, but it doesn't bear thinking about otherwise and she didn't even know her phone had this 'benefit'.  Makes me wonder how many other people are being tracked/stalked without their knowledge.