Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Heart palpitations - ostrogel too high?  (Read 4473 times)

Niamh

Heart palpitations - ostrogel too high?
« on: December 15, 2015, 04:15:43 PM »

Hi again! So a totally new symptom for me, last few days and especially this afternoon my heart feels like its racing! Is this due to too much ostrogel. I'm under Professor Studd for PMT and Im 41 and probably peri too, im on 3 pumps a day which I do in the morning up my inside arm, testim gel daily and low utro 100mg for 7 days each month. Im at the end of a bleed and just coming through a horrid dip post finishing the utro but now I have this racing heart and feel a bit lightheaded and wired like Ive had too much caffiene. I didn't have this before HRT and ive only been on HRt since early Oct with this recent dose of utro being my first. Does anyone have any advice its really horrid! Ive had insomnia since coming off utro too and I wonder if this is all linked to too much ostrogel and I should reduce to 1 pump morning and one evening? thanks x

Hurdity

Re: Heart palpitations - ostrogel too high?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 06:28:33 PM »

Hi Niamh - I'm not familiar with using HRT for pms as you are - ie when you have a normal cycle, so I can't comment about the effects of high oestrogen, and how taking extra oestrogen throughout the cycle affects how you feel when your own oestrogen is likley to be high - just before ovulation.

Palpitations are not listed as a side effect of oestrogel (not that I can find on the prescribing info), however I did find this on the web: http://menopausehealthmatters.com/symptoms-of-menopause/menopause-heart-palpitations/

It says that palpitations are common in menopause due to fluctuating hormone levels ( it says neither high nor low) and these should settle when your hormones have settled - but I am not sure how/when yours will settle if you are not yet properly peri-menopausal - but maybe in the years leading up to cycle changes but when symptoms are usually experienced - and increased pms as you have (and I did too!).

Heart palpitations during perimenopause are normally considered to be a result of constantly fluctuating hormone levels. Studies have shown that fluctuating levels in estrogen during perimenopause and eventual decline is related to irregular heartbeats, non threatening arrhythmias and increased palpitation frequency.

If you are taking Hormone Replacement Therapy HRT you may also be ware of an increase in episodes of heart palpitations at the beginning of your treatment.

Menopause heart palpitations can increase your heart rate between 8 and 16 beats per minute. However, there are women who have reported heart rates of up to 200 beats per minute when experiencing heart palpitations.

When you experience heart palpitations for the first time it can be frightening but rest assured it will regulate itself again quite quickly.

Generally, menopause heart palpitations will discontinue within a few months when your hormones have settled.

Hope this helps and also that someone who uses gel or other oestrogen and has been prescribed it in your situation will be along to share their experience soon :)

Hurdity x

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 07:35:19 PM »

Niamh, as far as I know it is not a side effect of using the gel but you might want to ring Professor Studd's office again tomorrow and run it past his secretary. 

I wouldn't worry too much, you are probably adjusting to the medication and if I remember rightly, you are still tweaking your dose so hopefully it will all settle down when you get into a routine with it.

dahliagirl

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 09:28:52 PM »

I have had this since moving to Femeston 2mg from 1mg - no effect at all on 1mg.

Your information was helpful Hurdity - I probably read that early on and forgot about it.

It looks like a bit of perseverance is needed.