Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Mince pie etiquette  (Read 5679 times)

Joyce

Mince pie etiquette
« on: December 09, 2015, 01:06:45 PM »

Well I never! I sat in stitches over this on This Morning. Cannot believe that such an etiquette exists.  :o

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-3349010/You-eating-WRONG-Etiquette-expert-reveals-correct-way-enjoy-mince-pie-never-serve-cold.html

So how do you eat yours?  Also if one is supposed to eat using one's left hand, why was he photographed using right?  ???
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 01:08:58 PM by cubagirl »

Galadriel

Re: Mince pie etiquette
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 01:11:57 PM »

OMG! I never knew! :o

If they are shop bought, I eat 'em cold as I can't be bothered to wait to heat them up and eat them.

If I made them, it's a different matter - they'll be eaten when cool enough not to cause 3rd degree burns when bitten into  ;D

Galadriel x

Scampi

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 01:34:05 PM »

What a load of pretentious twaddle!!!  I don't really like mince-pies (well, not since I lost the recipe I got from Family Circle magazine about 25 years ago - it had mincemeat made with apples and Guiness, and pastry made with ground almonds and was amazing!), and if I get offered one I decline - since when was saying 'no thank you' to food you don't like rude?!!!

I could have a soap-box moment about the rest of the article too, but life's too short!!

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 01:38:58 PM »

Well one does not want to overload our local A&E, because one has heated ones mince pie too much, does one.  ;D By the way why is this smiley missing his Santa hat?  ;D

I never knew either GD. I make my own every year. I don't bother putting icing sugar on them either. A nice star shape of shortcrust on top is all the decoration mine get. They crumble because pastry is nice & short. I obviously have never been to the right parties. Always food one hand, drink the other. None of this hand shaking malarkey.

Galadriel

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 01:47:46 PM »

Both your smileys are wearing santa hats on my screen  :)

Looks like I haven't been to the 'right sort' of parties either. Hand shaking is a great way to catch bugs - you've no idea if they've washed their sticky wee mitts properly... I prefer to keep mine occupied with nibbles and drinkies. I think I saw some plates years ago with a notch in the rim for resting wine glasses. :drunk:

Galadriel x

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 04:13:41 PM »

It's simple. You just eat them. Then wipe your mouth and if sticky wash your hands. Why complicate things!   :o
 I can't get the Christmas icons or the extra ones. Emma says refresh by pressing fs, but I have an iPad. No such button. Any ideas?

ellie

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 04:26:26 PM »

I Carnt get the extra icons either Ju Ju.....just these  ;D ;D.......I also have an iPad, so wonder if that's the reason?...

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 04:27:51 PM »

All of Smiley's are wearing hats as in :) :o :P but not this one on my tablet ;D  :'(

Dorothy

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 04:59:26 PM »

If this chap has so much spare time to waste (and he obviously does to spend it coming up with nutty ideas on how to eat mince pies) I'll be happy to provide him with a list of jobs I'm running out of time to do!

The only mince pie etiquette I'm interested in is how to eat as many as possible  ;D

Joyce

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 05:19:02 PM »

Totally ridiculous isn't it. When I watched him on This Morning, I think Holly & Ben were finding it a bit hard to take the guy seriously. No wonder!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 05:32:32 PM »

He's a nutter  :-X - he's eating with his right hand and holding the plate in his left well in some cultures that would be in-correct anyway  :-X ……….. I thought when I read the heading that it was a case of whether to lift the pie lid to add the cream or leave the lid on  ;) - bit like jam/cream first on a scone ………  :whist:

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 06:00:23 PM »

Glad I missed This then!   can't be doing with people telling me how to live my life.   ;D

Joyce

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 06:25:56 PM »

Me neither PF. When I started to watch the item, I was keeping an open mind. But he was deadly serious. I meantime was laughing. Switched it off!