Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Is this normal  (Read 3484 times)

Jube

Is this normal
« on: December 10, 2015, 05:05:59 PM »

It's me again!!!!  Yesterday I started bleeding (withdrawal bleed re elleste duet 1mg) and this morning it was VERY heavy. Couldn't go to work - have been lying down almost all day and everytime I get up the blood pours out of me. Have used so many towels already. Feel quite washed out. My periods were never ever this bad. This is the first bleed on elleste. Is this normal and how long will it last? Supposed to be going to doctor tomorrow for review but if I'm like this I wont be able to go!!! Feel like just stopping them now - wont be able to take time off work every month for ever!!! :'(

Taz2

Re: Is this normal
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 05:57:42 PM »

Poor you but in my experience this will get better. The first two bleeds I had on HRT were just as you describe but after that they settled down to a light bleed which lasted around three days each time. I had to take a towel to sit on in the car on the way to work just in case and a whole carrier bag full of different pads and tampons plus a hot water bottle for the pain. Are you getting any clotting at all as this is a good sign. How often are you having to change towels and tampons? I was using a night-time sanitary pad plus the super duper tampons and changing every hour or so. Day 2 and 3 are supposed to be the heaviest so hopefully it should be slowing up soon. If you can take nurofen this is a good one to use for pain as it also contains something that can slow down the bleeding - this is what my GP said anyway.

Taz x

Jube

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 06:14:20 PM »

Taz  thanks for your reply
There are clots
Changing a night time towel every hour and a half - dread to think what it would be if I was at work (I'm a nursery nurse working with 3 - 5 year olds - I couldn't have worked today) Also what can I do tonight? Set my alarm to get up every couple of hours?
Thanks for the tip about nurofen - i'll take some now!! x

Pollie

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 08:12:14 PM »

Its likely that if you haven't had a period for a while that your lining is quite thick and the progesterone in HRT is now getting to work..... All normal do not panic !

Things will improve  :)

Pollie

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 09:49:04 PM »

I work with youngsters too - it was very difficult I must admit and I probably should have stayed at home!! Clots are good as they are a sign that your clotting mechanism is working.

At night I used a night time towel next to my skin and then put another one outside my knickers with another pair of knickers on top of that to hold it all in place. Big knickers come in handy for these situations! However, nighttime wasn't too bad but when you first stand up in the morning you need to be prepared for a bit of a rush as the blood will have pooled. If you are still worried tomorrow then to set your mind at rest it may be a good idea to contact your gp.

Taz x

Goosieloosie

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 01:01:11 AM »

Hi there, omg this is exactly how I've been. I started HRT in October (evorel patches) & have had bleeding on & off since then but this week has been particularly bad, very similar to yourself, extremely heavy (never even had periods like this) and with clots too, i was beginning to get quite worried. I knew it was normal to expect bleeding in the first 3 to 6 months but I never expected it to be this bad so I'm very relieved to read it's normal & that it's good to have clots and that possibly I had built up quite a bit of lining since my periods had stopped 14 months before starting HRT.  My bleeding is finally today beginning to slow down, I thought it would never end :(. I  guess it is  worth hanging on & persevering for a few more months as i feel really well apart from the bleeding. How are you feeling on the Elleste Jube apart from the bleeding?  Hope you're getting some relief. Take care x

Jube

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 11:51:07 AM »

Goosieloosie   I'm feeling quite good on elleste. I sleep much better and have got my sex drive back ;) which I'm happy about and so is my partner - I was beginning to think we would never be able to make love again and I'm only 50. Been to see my GP and decided to carry on with elleste for a while as the pros outweigh the cons. She did say the bleeding would probably get less but has prescribed me some tranexamic acid for next time which will make the bleeding less heavy. It's not so bad today thank goodness. And thank goodness for this forum - it's so good to know there's others with similar problems  :)

Taz   thanks for the advice - last night was okay

Goosieloosie

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 02:06:21 PM »

Goosieloosie   I'm feeling quite good on elleste. I sleep much better and have got my sex drive back ;) which I'm happy about and so is my partner - I was beginning to think we would never be able to make love again and I'm only 50. Been to see my GP and decided to carry on with elleste for a while as the pros outweigh the cons. She did say the bleeding would probably get less but has prescribed me some tranexamic acid for next time which will make the bleeding less heavy. It's not so bad today thank goodness. And thank goodness for this forum - it's so good to know there's others with similar problems  :)

Taz   thanks for the advice - last night was okay

That's great to hear you're feeling better on it Jube, I too have felt great on Evorel, I'm amazed actually at the difference just a few missing hormones can make to one's life & only wish I had began HRT sooner (I'm 54), that is why I am reluctant to change from the Evorel but the bleeding and crampy pains were getting me down. I am still bleeding today (one week now) but it is definitely getting lighter. That's really good to know the Dr gave you tranexamic acid and I think I will certainly pay mine a visit if I have bleeding like this again and ask if she can prescribe me some lol! Yes this forum is a brilliant find. Take care and let us know how you are doing as the weeks go by  :)x

Jube

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 02:33:05 PM »

Thanks Goosieloosie.
You should think about going to your doctor and getting the tranexamic acid anyway - you'd have it ready for next time - just in case but fingers crossed you wont need it !! x

ellie66

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 12:49:01 AM »

You can buy tramexic acid in the Pharmacy without a prescription. The other issue is if you are perimenopausal your own hormones may be having a fling! So you could get really heavy periods anyway even if you do not take HRT plus all the other menopausal symptoms. My advice give it 3/4 months on HRT so you know what is going on.