Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Headaches  (Read 3221 times)

Ohgoodnessme

Headaches
« on: December 11, 2015, 06:19:30 PM »

I'm 10 days into my HRT tablets and for the past 3 days I have had a horrid headache with occasional earache. Is this a normal side effect? Or could I just be succumbing to the awful lurghy that is doing the rounds of our school?

Briony

Re: Headaches
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 07:38:27 PM »

I've definitely had a head ache each time Ive started a new type of hrt - but luckily, none has been a long term issue. If it doesn't go, or is different/worse to ones you've had in the past, then check with your doctor to be sure.

I had a banging one two weeks ago ... then a few days later woke up with The Bug. Hope you've not got it as it's vile. Has done the rounds of both our school and family/friends. :(

Good luck x

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 07:45:51 PM »

There is a horrible virus going around at the moment, it seems to consist of a sore throat, cough and high temperature.  However, your headache could also be the HRT, I had a headache when I starting taking Angeliq which is a continuous combined oral regime.  What type of HRT are you taking?

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 07:58:33 PM »

Hello Ohgoodnessme.

I've mentioned before that one of my early menopause symptoms was headaches. Mine would last all day before magically vanishing about at about 9 PM. This continued for six months and then they stopped and haven't bothered me since. Of course you may be cooking up an illness but I think hormonal changes are also likely! This menopause business certainly keeps us guessing.

Wishing you well.

K.

Ohgoodnessme

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 08:08:19 PM »

Hi, I'm taking Femoston 1/10. The headache doesn't feel any worse than any I've had before. I suffered migraines many years ago and it certainly doesn't feel like that. It just seems to be taking longer to shift. I seem to be popping painkillers like sweeties! Knowing my luck it is this horrid bug brewing nicely in time for Christmas. I work at a primary school so I guess it was only a matter of time before it got me!

Mary G

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 08:41:45 PM »

I've just read up on your medication and that helps!  It is an oral HRT which contains a synthetic progestin which can cause headaches for some people.  I can tell you that it is not a form of HRT that I would be able to take because I am severely intolerant to all types of synthetic progestins
but that said, it does not mean that you are but it could be part of the problem. 

I'm sure you don't want to think about changing to another type of HRT this close to Christmas but if the headaches continue and you feel it is not working as well as it should, you might want to consider changing to a transdermal regime.  Am I right in thinking you are only a few weeks into it?  If so, you might want to give it a little longer anyway. 

Hope that helps.

Ohgoodnessme

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 08:18:20 AM »

Thanks Mary. Yes, this is the first time I've taken HRT and I'm only a week and a bit in. I need to give it a fair go before asking to change. The GP said to try it for 3 months and then go and see her. Have just got up and my head seems ok at the moment. A bit fuzzy but that's nothing new.  Still have the earache just on one side. Perhaps that is down to the bug that's doing the rounds or maybe I've just been in a draught! 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 11:01:12 AM »

There is always a settling in period of 3-6 months and headaches are common at first.  Be patient - things should get better as your body adjusts and welcomes the hormones.  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 01:03:45 PM »

Just to clarify - your headache is not due to the progestogen in Femoston, because if you started on Day 1 (first one of the pack) you will still be on the oestrogen only part of the pack - the combi pills start on Day 15.

As the others have said - it could just be a settling in period as your body acclimatises (sudden increase in oestrogen can cause headaches temporarily), or a bug!

Hope you feel better soon :)

Hurdity x

Ohgoodnessme

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 04:13:02 PM »

Thanks ladies. I'm going to be patient. Although, as my husband will tell you, that's really not my strong point! ;)