Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: alternative to progesterone  (Read 3787 times)

elainewin

alternative to progesterone
« on: December 10, 2015, 12:31:11 PM »

Hello im wondering if there is a kinder alternative to progesterone ,as 7 days into taking it its making me proper moody and  depressed,and suffer nausea feeling in the morning that does pass but the moody angry feeling stays for days .

Pollie

Re: alternative to progesterone
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 02:59:46 PM »

Hi Elaine,

There is no alternative to progesterone/progestin as you need to protect your womb lining from cancer but:-

There are different types of progesterone you can try, which are you on ?

Also you could try a patch rather than tablet, this will not pass through your digestive system.

However giving up smoking will make you grumpy for a while no matter what - be strong if you can  :)

pollie

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 03:09:43 PM »

elainewin, can you remind us, what type of progesterone you are using now?

elainewin

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 07:39:20 PM »

thanks Im on climagest 1mg , i keep having a go at family , even someone near me eating a bag of crisps drives me mad .

Pollie

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 08:06:16 PM »

Femoston would contain a different progesterone, or try a different route of delivery such as patch or try Utrogeston which I have no experience of but others on here like very much

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

However be aware that chopping and changing HRT is not ideal and not everything can be blamed on hormones lol ;)

pollie

elainewin

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 08:22:16 PM »

Thank you Pollie yes very true its now easy to blame Hrt and menopause , i will take on board what you have said  :)

Mary G

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 08:54:15 PM »

elainewin, your current HRT contains norethisterone, which is a strong synthetic progestin and does not agree with everyone. 

Depending on how you feel about the HRT you are currently taking and how well you think it is working overall, you might want to consider changing to a transdermal oestrogen (gel or patch) as pollie suggests.  You can then take Utrogestan vaginally for several days per month which will mean you have periods but I think you are already on cyclical HRT.  Personally, I don't like any progesterone but Utrogestan is bio identical with fewer side effects than norethisterone so you might find it suits you better. 

elainewin

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 10:26:50 PM »

Thanks Mary G....yes my mind seems to veer towards patches as i suffer with acid reflux and get upset stomach,s too ..but i need to go to drs with something positive to say about an alternative to climagest, but ive struggled in the last 7 wks getting used to hrt, and dont want to change and put myself right back at the start, my system is now excepting the first 14 days of estrogen ,but def still feel crap on the 12 days of progesterone...... so i need to get it right not sure if my doctor knows enough to give me the right advice on alternatives ...what effect would going on 2mg climagest have , as she said i could either change dosage or try something else , any advice most welcome .