Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Are these hot flushes?  (Read 3144 times)

Eltwins

Are these hot flushes?
« on: December 16, 2015, 06:45:43 AM »

I know I am going through the the menopause, as blood tests have confirmed it. However, are these hot flushes that I'm experiencing, as they are slightly different to how they are described by others?:
I have sudden feelings of being very hot all over that lasts for 1-5 minutes, but they don't affect my head and I don't go red in the face.
I also have bad anxiety either from memo or not, could these just be that?
Any thoughts??

Dorothy

Re: Are these hot flushes?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 08:24:23 AM »

Could be, especially if you are in the early stages - I remember thinking I was getting a lot of bugs as I kept feeling 'feverish' - it was a while before they became 'traditional' hot flushes.  And while I've had 'dry' hot flushes at night for a couple of years, it's only recently that they've become night sweats (coincided with my joint/muscle pain easing off)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 08:32:54 AM »

Hi and welcome to MM Eltwins
Women can experience flushes in different ways.  What you are describing sounds like flushes to me. I liken the flushes I had, when not on HRT, as having a fever, one minute really hot and sweaty and then often really cold.
I responded to temperature changes really easily - so if I went into a shop that was too hot I became almost claustrophobic and would have to get out quickly.  Driving in the car I would get at least 3 flushes in an hour - switching on the air con and opening all the windows so I could concentrate on driving, so really not good for my passengers.
The mental effects of oestrogen deficiency can be alarming - from nowhere, one finds anxiety descends and mood becomes low.
Do browse around to get clued up.  Keep posting - we are here to support you.  Dg x

Janice68

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 10:51:35 AM »

Hi And welcome to MM Eltwins,

Regarding to Your hot flushes Eltwins  mine to  started that way about 4years ago in the early part of peri and my face and head were not effected at this time. As time has moved on then the sweats came but no red face and did not effect head.

Now my  hot flushes effect my head and now I have internal heat with the hot flushes even burning sensations but no sweat on the outside only feeling it on  the inside and no red face I look normal on the outside crazy how we experience things differently to others and the chills I have now and   they only started this year I think im going to get a cold then the symptoms just disappear .  As for  anxiety it can be a part of meno too but im quite an anxious person anyway but meno has made me suffer with this more so. Now on low dose AD now.

Low estrogen does effect your moods and also anxiety can be a part of it too because you want to know what is going on in your body and why?  But everybody is different  and their  experiences can be similar or different as I have experienced with my symptoms.

If you are not sure do speak to your doc about it all.  Janx

Eltwins

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 01:25:10 PM »

Thanks for your responses.
I do suffer night sweats too and my mood can be ok one day and anxious and depressed the next. Guess it's all part of the meno then 😔

grumpyjane

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 09:03:08 PM »

I think you can be sure they're  flushes! Mine started 9 years ago at age 49. I get a slight nauseous feeling and then hot hot hot radiating from my chest over my whole torso, but it doesn't show on my face at all. Pretty regular too, every 40 minutes. At night i get the same flushes and only rarely a real sweat. Yup, modd swings all over the place too.
Good luck! (ooh i can feel  a flush just starting *sigh*)
J x

Dana

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 10:31:37 PM »

Yep definitely sound like flushes to me too. My face usually wouldn't get flushed or sweaty, but everything else would. I would suddenly get this overwhelming heat coming from within that would mainly affect my torso area. It wasn't like experiencing an outside heat, like on a hot day. It felt totally different, and it was pretty unmistakable. My heart and breathing rate would increase, and I would get this sense of anxiety, that would last for maybe 5 minutes or so. Then at night it would often be replaced with feeling cold.

Fortunately HRT fixed all that, but I can still experience night sweats occasionally - not all the time, but I might still get one maybe once a week or so.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 10:33:08 PM by Dana »

Kristy

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 01:48:59 AM »

I agree, it does sound like a hot flush. You may find that over time, the nature of them will change. When mine first started nearly 3 years ago, it was just my face and head that felt warm, there was no flushing or sweat. Now my torso feels hot along with my face and head and my neck and back start to sweat. A slight flush appears on my face and neck but thankfully it is not really noticeable to anyone but me.
Fingers crossed they won't get any worse :(