Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Using Utrogestan vaginally  (Read 22684 times)

Niamh

Using Utrogestan vaginally
« on: December 07, 2015, 03:39:00 PM »

Hi all
This is my first post on these boards so hello :) I am currently seeing Professor Studd for escalating and crippling PMT and what has to be the start of the menopause, I also had PND after my 2nd baby and have felt pretty depressed for the last couple of years. He has put me on Oestrogel 3 measures daily, transdermal testosterone gel daily and then Utrogestan 100 mgs daily for the first 7 days of each calendar month. I'm progesterone intolerant so Ive struggled with even this low dose but felt so much better from the inital osetrogel and testosterone  :). This is only the first month I've taken it and I see him again in Jan but I've read about a lot of ladies using it vaginally and wonder if I should try this. I feel really tired, thick headed, a bit sick and on day 2 had some of my PMT anxiety return. I got chronic insomnia on night 2 as well so much so I stopped using it for 48 hours. So my question is how do I use it vaginally I have the 100mg capsules do I just pop it up there or do I need to break the capsule? Also Ive read it can be stronger taken this route which worries me a bit owing to my intolerance..maybe I should wait and ask Professor Studd in Jan?
Thanks
Niamh

Cassie

Re: Using Utrogestan vaginally
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 04:10:32 PM »

Vaginally is much better in my opinion, yes you just pop it in at night when you get into bed very simple and effective, been using it that way for yrs I do 12 days per mth 100mg works really well all the best.

Niamh

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 04:19:33 PM »

Brill thanks I'll try tonight! Do you find it helps with the side effects or did you not really get any....x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 04:47:01 PM »

Hi Niamh

:welcomemm:

Prof Studd suggests this very low amount of progesterone for women who are progesterone intolerant such as yourself - but I presume he would expect to give you a uterine scan annually to check that the lining has not over thickened, since it is less than the licensed amount?

Re side effects - used vaginally more of the progesterone reaches the uterus where it is needed, compared to oral use where it has to go through the digestive system and also the liver. On the continent, vaginal use is recommended where side effects are experienced from oral use, but it is not licensed for vaginal use in UK. Many of us prefer to take it this way for that reason ( ie side effects from oral use), and this is sanctioned by gynaes/knowledgeable doctors.

It's not really advisable to stop the course before the end - and you may well get a bleed as a consequence, although it won't have sufficiently thinned the lining.

I have never taken it orally as all my HRT has been nil-by-mouth...

Hurdity x

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 05:04:13 PM »

Niamh, welcome to MM!

I also visited Professor Studd and he prescribed exactly the same medication for me although I have since reduced my Oestrogel dose to one pump every 12 hours.

Like yourself, I am intolerant to all synthetic progestins and to a lesser extent Utrogestan which, as you probably know, is a bio identical progesterone and much more like the one we produce ourselves.  I always take it vaginally and there are fewer side effects (like breast pain) when you take it this way.  When taken vaginally, you are more likely to tolerate it and yes, it is stronger (probably about 50%) because most of it reaches the womb and does not get lost in your digestive system so you can get away with using 100mg for 7 days per month.  If you can, try to find an applicator and place the capsule right up to the cervix, you don't need to pierce it though. 

There is no reason why Utrogestan cannot be licensed to be used vaginally in the UK, it is virtually everywhere else.  My gynaecologist (not Professor Studd) thinks it should be always be used vaginally. 

Niamh

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 05:44:17 PM »

Thank you ladies that's all really useful.

Mary do you know what Professor Studd thought of using it vaginally? I might just call his office.

Hurdity-I realise not taking the full 7 days isnt good but the symptoms i got initially sent me into such a panic and sent me back to the dark place I don't want to be in again! Next month I'll do the full 7 days as Prof Studd prescribed, I'm also very confident in him prescribing this for me and im sure he'll advise scans. I feel I couldn't be in better hands knowing his credentials and experience and he's come highly recommended by friends. He has worked wonders already!
X

Niamh

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 05:47:09 PM »

Sorry meant to say Prof Studd said to expect a bleed around day 10 anyway x

Mary G

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 06:15:46 PM »

Niamh, you are right to trust Professor Studd, he is a widely respected, leading expert in this field, probably one of the best in the world and all the advice he gives is on the back of many years of his own research and many years of his personal experience as a Professor of gynaecology.  He is a great believer in HRT and I agree with him. 

I didn't speak to him about taking Utrogestan vaginally but his secretary is also very knowledgeable and it's worth you giving his office a call and either she can help you or she may pass you through to him.

The problem with this entire issue is one size does not fit all and different women respond very differently to all types of medication.  I always get a very good bleed on his prescription and I have regular womb scans but the problem is, the NHS can't afford this type of personal service so they have to take the belt and braces approach and play it ultra safe. 

Cassie

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 06:54:19 PM »

The only side effect I get is insomnia, always have to be different to everyone else :)

Trufflecat

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 07:14:35 PM »

If you have an active sex life, how does this impact upon your use of Utrogestan vaginally?

Kathleen

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 07:24:03 PM »

Hello Niamh and welcome to the forum.

I've just mentioned on another thread that I raised a question about Utrogestan used vaginally after speaking to a pharmacist. Menopause and it's treatment is such a minefield it's no wonder we get confused at times.
I hope your regime works for you and you certainly seem to be in good hands!

Take care and keep posting.

K.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 07:55:59 PM »

Hello Niamh

I too suffered with PND though I fully recovered and was fine for 10 years until I started with anxiety and depression with the on set of peri menopause.

Did Prof Studd mention you are far more likely to suffer peri menopausal anxiety and depression if you've already had PND.

I see my consultant next week and I hope she'll start me in the same regime as you (though not sure she'll agree to only 100mg of Utro for 7 days?)

Can I ask what symptoms you suffer with and if the high dose of oestrogel has helped your anxiety/depression?

Niamh

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 08:05:29 PM »

Hi there, so my youngest is nearly 2, I definately had PND but never sought help I think I pnly resognised it recently, then escalating pmt, v irregular cycle (have had that all life) and hideous experience with a Mirena coil! Anyway symptoms for me were low mood, lot of anxiety and weight loss, terrible insomnia, mood swings and aggression basically feeling out of control, tearful, like I just wanted to curl up in a corner but not possible with 2 little boys, a full on job and house to run. Loss of libido too. Yes the ostrogen was amazing within 7/10 days and testosterone too, not liking this bit with the prog but it's still a million miles from where I was. Professor Studd in a saint in my eyes  ;D my GP was clueless and fitted a mirena which sent me mad in 48 hours as I'm clearly prog intolerant!! Paid a lot to just get it out of my body!!!x

Niamh

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 08:07:29 PM »

Ps yes did know the link between PND, pmt, prog intolerance etc x

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2015, 09:21:49 PM »

We sound very similar. The Mirena sent me round the bend too, it gave me PMS every day and I started throwing things in rage and having arguments with poor shop assistants and tele sales people. It was a nightmare few months until my GP finally agreed to remove it. Within 2 days I was a different person.

Sorry you're struggling a bit on the Utro stage but at least ite just for one week. Shame Prof. Studd can't prescribe Valium for just a few days  ::)

I think 3 pumps is nearly equivalent to 100mg patches? Could you up your dose to 4 pumps just during your Utro week? I hope this regime carries on working for you.

Pages: [1] 2