Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Doc says HRT is just putting off inevitable?? Is this true?  (Read 4452 times)

Jewelmum50

Doc says HRT is just putting off inevitable?? Is this true?
« on: December 15, 2015, 11:01:21 AM »

Hi everyone, I am new to the Forum.  I am 50 and am on 3rd packet of HRT (Cyclo-Progynova 2mg).  I was having horrendous hot flushes particularly at night which meant that I hadn't slept properly for over a year.  I was prescribed HRT by young female trainee GP.  When I went back to the docs for a follow up consultation she was no longer there and I saw another female GP (more experienced).  She said to me that I was simply putting off the inevitable by taking HRT and did I realise the hot flushes would simply return when I stopped taking it?  She said she wanted to make sure I realised this.  I have carried on taking them because to be free of the flushes and be able to sleep properly through the night is like bliss.  However, I didn't feel very supported by the new GP.   Thanks for any advice.  Tracey

dahliagirl

Re: Doc says HRT is just putting off inevitable?? Is this true?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 11:08:55 AM »

I don't see anything wrong with staying as happy and healthy as you can for as long as you can.

Just because something is inevitable (and there is no certainty that it is in this situation) does not mean you have to be in a rush to get to it  ::)

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 11:37:29 AM »

Having just restarted HRT for the third time, I would say Yes it only delays the flushes. However, my GP said life quality was more important so long as I understand the risks. I do & loving being flush/sweat free again.

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 01:01:27 PM »

Who says there has to be a time limit on it?  The 5 year time limit that was previously placed on taking HRT was based on absolutely nothing and plucked out of the air in a fit of panic after the dangerously flawed MWS. 

I think the guidelines will change again in the near future and a longer time limit will be put in place but I decided a long time ago that I am taking HRT for the long term and probably for life.

Meeka

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 03:14:52 PM »

just putting off the inevitable.........I think this is a very negative thing to say about HRT and doesn't really compute.     Isn't it better to have good quality of life for as long as we can.   Many people plan to stay on HRT for life so this statement doesn't really apply.     This is just her opinion and its the reason why we should always seek a second opinion if we have any doubts.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 03:37:03 PM »

Jewel - Quality of Life Girl, quality of Life  ;)

Ignore your GP.  Her turn will come  :-X.  If your HRT gives you relief now, then go for it.  After all, that proverbial bus might catch you behind the ankles  ;) ………….. Keep a mood/food diary for 3 months and chart how you feel as you go along.

Read the menus on here; take notes.  You know your body …………..  ;)

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 03:40:48 PM »

Well I know it will be a damn sight easier and far more convenient to be dealing with any hot flushes and associated symptoms when I am post-60 and, presumably, retired and with no children living at home anymore. Much easier coping with insomnia too when you don't have an alarm set for 7.00am every day.

And it is certainly not guaranteed you will suffer post menopause. My Mum had a surgical menopause at only 43 and only took HRT for 6 months afterwards, then stopped. She was symptom free, no sweats, slept fine, mood nicely even etc. But she did have a fall at 54 and 'shattered' her wrist and scan showed early osteoporosis sadly.

Rosie500

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 06:52:18 PM »

I've had people say that to me too (not a doctor yet though!). My reply is to quote something I read on here, not sure who posted it -"You take my HRT from my cold dead hand and not before" That really made me laugh. I am only 2 months into HRT but I love it already. I do plan to "have a go" to stop it in a decade or so as I know some women can do this with no ill effects, it's so variable. However I do not plan to live with the symptoms I've had in the last few years - I agree sleeping through the night is bliss and I even caught myself feeling optimistic and positive the other day, like I used to. I feel the old me is slowly making a reappearance. I understand you can buy oestrogel OTC on Spain so I may have to have some holidays there if I can't get it here  ;) (though as Mary G say things may well change with regards to age/time limits).

As for your GP, she may be the first GP's trainer and it may have come up when they were discussing cases that she hadn't covered all the caveats, so it's possible she wasn't being unsupportive, just making sure you'd had the correct information. I'm pleased it's working for you and you can sleep again!

Basil

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 08:36:22 PM »

I'm on  my second month of HRT and so far so good.  My wonderful GP explained that most of the symptoms of menopause were due to swings in hormones.  Taking HRT controls the swings and when you are ready to stop you do so gradually therefore minimizing symptoms and allowing your body to adjust slowly.  Made sense to me, yes we do have to deal with it eventually but at least we can have more control :-)

Dorothy

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 10:35:04 PM »

My GP says many women come off HRT and never get any symptoms returning.  She says it all depends on the individual.  I'm aware I may be back to square one at 50 (when she advises coming off BCP to 'see what happens' and then maybe looking at HRT if symptoms are bad) but I'd rather deal with it in 10 years time than now. 

Goosieloosie

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 10:39:49 PM »

Oh my goodness this worries me as I too saw a young trainee GP at our surgery when I first went onto HRT this October, she was lovely & I saw her again at the beginning of this month for my check up and she put my prescription on repeat, I know she has since left and I am worried about who I will see at my follow up appointment in 6 months time as I don't hold out much hope with the other female GPs at our surgery who I have seen for other things in the past  ::). I too am very happy on my HRT at the moment and I'm amazed at the difference in myself....I don't ever want to come off it  :o

Dana

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2015, 05:51:42 AM »

She said to me that I was simply putting off the inevitable by taking HRT

I wonder why they only say this about HRT? They don't say "taking BP medication is only putting off the inevitable of having a stroke"....

Dorothy

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 08:13:04 AM »

She said to me that I was simply putting off the inevitable by taking HRT

I wonder why they only say this about HRT? They don't say "taking BP medication is only putting off the inevitable of having a stroke"....

Because HRT is a women's issue, and we are women so we are 'meant' to suffer.  Grrrrr!   >:(