Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Bedding plants.  (Read 5142 times)

littleminnie

Bedding plants.
« on: April 27, 2016, 10:31:35 AM »

I have bought a very tall planter for a particular spot in the garden. The problem is, it doesn't get much sun. Are there any bedding plants (that don't grow too tall) that like shade?

bramble

Re: Bedding plants.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 10:40:09 AM »

Busy Lizzies and fibrous rooted begonias will both do well in shade.

Bramble

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 10:46:02 AM »

Too early! keep it frost free until at least the middle of MAY!!! oh, read that as tall 'plant'  ::).

Not many plants like deep shade despite the 'experts' telling us they will survive!  Mainly because deep shade may well be dry, being under trees/shrubs which suck moisture from the ground.  Ferns and hellebores do well in woodland settings which is often damp and gets occasional sunshine.  Cyclamen -  not the houseplant but 'wild' corms - like shade in parts of the day.  I have problems here with keeping polyanthus 'going'  :-\ which is a shame 'cos I Love 'em.

How about trailing nasturtiums to soften the edge of the planter, lobelia looks pretty too.  Have a wander round the garden centre and read the backs of the packets  ;) then you will see what bedding might be appropriate.  I hope to get plenty of mimulus in our pond again, some has over-wintered I think  ;)  :) …… which gets full sunshine.

A hellebore to flower Dec./Jan.? then under-plant bedding late April/May to brighten up the pot?  At this time of year, I always forget that leaves will un-furl and cause shade by mid-May ……..

littleminnie

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 08:16:36 AM »

Thank you.  I will take a trip to the garden centre towards the end of May.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 12:37:04 PM »

They may well be cheaper by then.  Or buy what you like now and keep under cover?  I need some colour for a corner so will search out hostas ………

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 02:50:55 PM »

I bought 4 cowslip plants, a small auricula in a colour I don't have already, 3 wall flower plants - now standing in the rain - I can see them from the kitchen window  :D