Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: HRT Very grateful of advice  (Read 2215 times)

nogs67

HRT Very grateful of advice
« on: December 06, 2015, 12:16:27 PM »

After much backwards and forwards to the doctors I have been told to read up on HRT before making my decision as to whether I want to go on it.  So any advice would be gratefully received.

Briefly, periods started getting erratic couple of years ago, plus have family history re early menopause (I am now 46), but doctor just wanted me to keep an eye on them first and log when had etc.  After a few months I was sent to hospital to see gynaecologist who didn't really want to know and told me that there was no such thing as early menopause!! Went back to see my doctor who when told this couldnt quite believe her attitude.  Anyway, had coil fitted year ago, see if that helped, it didn't.  Now been getting hot flushes, irritable, not had period since Aug, and then it wasn't a 'proper' one, plus my sister who is 2 years younger than me has been told she is going through early menopause. so now at point deciding re HRT.

I have to say my doctor (who is male) has been absolutely brilliant over this.  He has listened, told me to read up on risks and benefits before prescribing.  He has been my doctor for years and I saw him when expecting 20 years ago, he knows my history with irregular periods, and I think this makes a difference too.

Best of all was his attitude to the problem.  He told me that Germaine Greer once said that the menopause was liberating for women as it untied them from their monthly cycles, and women should imbrace it.  On the other hand someone that he knew commented 'you take my HRT from my cold dead hand and not before'.  However another comment was 'if men had to take HRT it would be in the water supply'.

I really would appreciate some advice, I need to do something to get this sorted and it looks as though I am going to decide the HRT route, just which one is the next decision.

limpy

Re: HRT Very grateful of advice
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 12:34:32 PM »

Hi Nogs

From what you say, it looks like you will opt for the HRT route.
Given you had a period in August you will probably need the Sequi type of HRT (where you will get a bleed). A decision will be Patches or Tablets, theres lots of information in the Treatments button on the green menu at the top, the following link takes you there

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

It's probably worth having a chat with your GP as well, he sounds sensible.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 01:04:18 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM nogs67
Great to here you have such a good GP !!!!! I love the quotes and they really illustrate the various attitudes one tends to encounter.  We are all different and our menopause will be different.  You are too young to be oestrogen deficient  and though blood tests for oestrogen levels can be unreliable in the peri meno stage I'm surprised your GP hasn't at least done a test to see if your FSH level is high!!!!
Going by your symptoms, I would suggest you simply have a bit of Oestrogel if you still have the Mirean in place.  I suspect your oestrogen levels are still fluctuating so by adding just one pump of Oestrogel each day this would stabilise your levels and, if need be, you could then increase to 2pumps as your own oestrogen levels drop over the next couple of years . You won't need any progesterone if you have the Mirena and could find you get little or no bleeding either! The Mirena with oestrogen, as either oestrogen patch or Oestrogel, is a great combo and is favoured by many top gynaes.
I would go back to your lovely GP, perhaps ask to have your FSH and oestrogen tested but definitely ask for some Oestrogel or a low dose oestrogen patch - I bet you feel a new women in under 4 weeks. DG xxx

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 06:31:23 PM »

Welcome to MM!

By the time I was your age, I was post menopause so you are not unusual.  I would definitely recommend you start taking HRT, you are far too young to be oestrogen deficient.  Also, it will get rid of your symptoms very quickly and restore your quality of life. 

Is it a Mirena coil you have had fitted?  If so, that does make life easier because (a) it would appear you are tolerating it well and it sorts out the progesterone part of the HRT and (b) it means you can either start using the oestrogen gel or a patch straightaway - I would recommend the gel because you can adjust the dose to suit your needs.

You are lucky to have such a nice GP and I am sure he will agree to prescribe the gel now that the new guidelines are in place. 

Please keep us posted! 

elainewin

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 07:49:43 PM »

hi nogs im 6 wks into HRT climagest 1mg ,thou its been a rocky 6 weeks trying to adjust to hormone adjustments im now feelng really good ..good luck with your choice as im sure you will make the right decision . :)