Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Internet bullying  (Read 6263 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Internet bullying
« on: December 05, 2015, 05:00:09 PM »

I see that Gordon Ramsey's children have been 'slammed' after putting their going-out pictures on the net - short skirts, clutch bags, all ready to party looking like teens look when prepared for a 'do' and now they are being called 'names'.   Of course those that are name calling may well be adults hiding behind …….. but it looks like it would be better not to post such photos because someone, somewhere ……..

Then there's the report about the MPs who have been threatened on social media for the way they voted this week.  I can't even be bothered to look to see which way my MP voted but it would appear that there are those with too much time on their hands  ::)

Dorothy

Re: Internet bullying
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 06:02:33 PM »

I think bullying of any kind is appalling, but I don't understand why people post photos of themselves online, allow the whole world to see them and then complain if they get negative comments.  I have a FB account, but I only post things I wouldn't mind the world seeing AND have my privacy set to friends only. 

The people I feel really sorry for are the ones who have photos taken of them by other people who then post it on the net.

As for the MPs, a lot of them are behaving like stroppy toddlers themselves, so it's no surprise that those who elected them are also misbehaving.  I couldn't believe the amount of insults and name calling that went flying back and forth over the Syria vote...hardly a great example to the world of how to live peaceably with those you disagree with. >:(

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 06:29:14 PM »

I agree - having been given a 'free' vote but then told which way to Vote ….. is that really Democracy?

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 08:13:57 PM »

I post nice things on FB, things that I would never be ashamed of. I imagine Gordon Ramsay's children thought likewise. However, as their father is a celebrity, things like this will happen unfortunately. Best to restrict access to close friends only.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 08:32:10 PM »

Likewise Stellajane.  There are things that I wouldn't want my family to know …….. why not take proper photos, get them developed and then send them to those who are on the 'need to know' list?

Dorothy

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 08:51:07 AM »

I know what you mean about the sharing Stellajane!  I have friends who have posted every detail about relationship breakdowns or serious illnesses on their FB pages - even if you have it set to 'friends ony', there is always a risk someone could hack your account and gain access to it - and as most of them have over 1,000 'friends' listed anyway, they are already sharing with people they won't know that well.  The other extreme is the people who share extreme trivia - "just enjoying a nice cup of tea and a sit down" or "I have a really bad headache".  Oh, wow!

It does have it's good points though - I have a number of friends living abroad, some in areas where the postal service is quite erratic - in fact I have given up writing to one family as posted items hardly ever arrive!  Facebook means I can stay in touch online and share photos which would never arrive if sent by post!  I've also been able to get back in touch with a couple of very good friends - we all moved at the same time, so our new addresses never reached each other and now we are back in touch through FB.  It's also good for linking people up with similar interests - I have linked up with a group of local volunteers who help homeless people.  We are able to achieve much more working together, and I would never have known about the others if it wasn't for FB!

I just have the two rules - think about who I am sharing with before I post anything and also think 'if someone hacked my account and shared this round the world, how would I feel?'  It's not just about avoiding bullying - the more you share online, the more at risk you are from identity fraud, theft etc - e.g. the people who post a photo of them outside their house saying 'off to France for 2 weeks'...telling everyone who sees it that their house will be empty!

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 10:36:00 AM »

This is close to home for me. In 2013 I got stalked by an internet bully who got into my FB account.  It wasn't menace but nuisance but was enough to unnerve me.  She somehow got hold of my mobile phone number and started ringing me up and taking my photos off my FB account and posting them as if to say 'look what I can do if I choose to'.

I closed my FB account and my phone provided changed my number and it all stopped.  After 6 months I re registered with FB to keep in touch with my children and grandchildren, set my security parameters as tight as possible and only have 9 'friends' who are immediate family and closest real life friends.  If anyone sends a friend request I explain to them why I have to decline the request.

As I said, it was not menacing but it was unnerving and gives you a feeling of violation, like someone invading your personal space.

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 11:48:12 AM »

Never figured out need for so many friends. Mine are family & a few close friends. I have a few older ones which I haven't unfriended, just don't follow any more as I gave little contact with them these days.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 01:26:33 PM »

What would you expect a 'friend' to do for you in an emergency?  Bet those beyond about 5 aren't 'real' friends ? as for several 100  :-\

Dorothy

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 02:23:35 PM »

Depends what you mean by 'real' friends - I would say I only have 5 close friends, but many more 'real' friends.