Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Cool Yule!!  (Read 5621 times)

Scampi

Cool Yule!!
« on: December 03, 2015, 02:20:09 PM »

I posted this comment in the "It's not Christmas Yet" thread, and CLKD requested I start a new thread .... so here it is!

I am Pagan (Wiccan, to be precise), so I celebrate Yule, rather than Christmas.  And to me and most (if not all) Pagans, it truly is a celebration - it's a party to celebrate the fact we've made it through the darkest part of the year, and to welcome back the light (I suppose that translates very well to the Christian celebration of the birth of Christ - the return of the 'light'). 

So we feast unashamadly, yes, but the most important thing for me is to spend the time with my nearest and dearest (not always family - I said dearest!) and celebrate the victory of the Oak King over the Holly King and the turning of the year (not New Year - that was Samhain!). 

It's also a celebration of the birth of the God (whatever we choose to call him - Pagans have a very personal relationship with the God and Goddess - we choose the 'manifestation' that suits us best - my personal favourite is Cernunnos, the Horned God), again mirrored by Christian beliefs.

Taz2

Re: Cool Yule!!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 02:49:21 PM »

Sounds brilliant Scampi. Do you have the proper Yule log? Does it mean that you don't celebrate Christmas or do you have both? Also, are you allowed time off work now that all religious groups are becoming more recognised as is the case in schools.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 03:07:55 PM »

:thankyou:

I wish I could 'celebrate' more quietly, when we are again alone we will revert to the routine we established whilst Mum had a man living with her  ;)

Do you go wassailing?

Steve Wright informed his listener/s yesterday that the Solctise falls on the 22nd  :-\ but I understood it to be 21st of the appropriate month ?

Isis, Astati, Diana; Hegatary, Dimita, Karli, Inanna …….. [Burning Times]
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 03:09:45 PM by CLKD »

Scampi

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 04:01:08 PM »

Taz - I don't have a Yule log as I don't have anywhere to burn one, but I have special candles and bury the last little bit of wax (same idea as burying the ashes of the Yule log).  I celebrate Yule with some Wiccan friends and our families - the families aren't Wiccan, but they like having an excuse for a big feed twice!  I also have 'Christmas' as the rest of my family (except my daughter) aren't Wiccan.  As for time off work - if I want the day off for Sabbats I have to take annual leave. 

CLKD - the astronomical solstice can fall on the 22nd (as can the Summer solstice and the two equinoxes), but it's usually celebrated on the 21st.  I don't go wassailing - there's nowhere near where I live that it happens.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 04:03:00 PM »

You can make a Yule log with 2 Swiss rolls, chocolate covered with cream inside: cut and sliced with a bit of holly on top  ;)

One needs an apple tree to go Wassaling  -  maybe begin a tradition?

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 04:37:20 PM »

You are talking about a chocolate yule log CLKD  ;D

I think it falls on the early hours of the 22nd this year but what's a few hours between friends? I love Avebury at Solstice times but it saddens me to see how much tour operators charge for an "experience".

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 08:05:49 PM »

Yule is yule - it's been taken over the the Christian C.mas food ideas, it was my chore on C.mas Eve  :-\