Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Communication problems with hospital doctors !  (Read 3052 times)

Katejo

Communication problems with hospital doctors !
« on: December 02, 2015, 08:50:49 PM »

:) Has anyone else had a hospital  referral and then received a copy of the letter sent to your GP which simply doesn't represent the conversation which you had with the doctor? Here is an example
I recently had an ENT referral. I thought that my dizziness symptoms were linked to 2 recent UTI infections and said so. In a letter to the GP, the doctor says that I had attributed them to severe kidney disease which I have never had! The hospital has also invented a fictional name for my GP. I wonder whether I am being confused with someone else.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Communication problems with hospital doctors !
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 01:21:56 PM »

What is your GP's response?  Was the Consultant English speaking?  It really isn't good enough, I would have been sacked had I muddled up patients …… I would also ring the person who has typed the letter and ask who the GP is?

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 01:52:44 PM »

Two years ago I had to be admitted to hospital with a chest infection and asthma. I had to stay for a couple of days. A week after I got home the GP who had come to see me and called the ambulance rang to see if I was still in the land of the living. No discharge letter had been had been received from the hospital.

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 02:06:22 PM »

Meno brain at work here, but why ENT referral for UTI.? Thought ENT was ear, nose & throat.

Apart from that I'd be checking that you've not be mixed up with someone else katejo.

Any time I've had a hospital as!mission, I'm given discharge letter to take to GP myself. Only times it's gone direct are if it's been outpatients appointments.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 03:25:07 PM »

When Mum was discharged 14 months ago I took her Discharge Letter to her GP.  We read it on the way home and it didn't say a lot about why she had been there and back  ::)

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 11:19:09 AM »

Meno brain at work here, but why ENT referral for UTI.? Thought ENT was ear, nose & throat.

Apart from that I'd be checking that you've not be mixed up with someone else katejo.

Any time I've had a hospital admission, I'm given discharge letter to take to GP myself. Only times it's gone direct are if it's been outpatients appointments.

My view is that the symptoms were connected with the UTI but my GP thought it was an ear, nose and throat job so referred me there.

No English wasn't her first language. She is Greek.

I have asked whether I was partially mixed up with someone else. Part of the info for me was correct though.

I don't yet know what the GP thinks about it. She would only have got a copy of my follow up letter yesterday. RE. hospital letters: When I broke my wrist earlier this year, the hospital sent letters direct to the GP and sent me a copy too.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 11:20:41 AM by katejo »

Briony

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 11:44:10 PM »

I once received in the post a detailed, sensitive summary of symptoms and diagnosis ... for a totally different patient. Not even similar names!

I have also found the consultant's summary of what I reported is often subtly different to what I actually said. They seem to have a habit of picking up on something incidental and making a big deal of it, but ignoring the key thing you tried to explain.  You then feel a bit stupid when the letter goes to your GP.

One consultant asked me to explain my symptoms , so I did so in chronological order. He then assumed symptom X was my key concern because this is what I first mentioned. I kept trying to explain that this symptom had since settled but he kept going back to it because 'patients mention first what they are primarily concerned about'. I remember being really frustrated but felt powerless!