Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: HRT = Climagest  (Read 7742 times)

senga

HRT = Climagest
« on: December 02, 2015, 01:50:12 PM »

Help!! I've been using Climagest 1mg for a couple of years now and it's great - does exactly what it says on the tin with no side effects (changed from a previous brand that gave me side effects).  Took my latest prescription to the pharmacy to be told it's discontinued by manufacturer, need to find an alternative!

Anyone else in the same boat?  What are you switching to? 

Hurdity

Re: HRT = Climagest
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 06:58:02 PM »

Hi senga

Just to say  :welcomemm:

I don't take tablet HRT but you can see all the different types and what they contain listed here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

Depending what dose you were on you can see that Elleste Duet has the same progestogen in it (norethisterone) so if you were OK on the second half of the Climagest pack then you should be OK on that. What brand did you use before that gave sdie effects? Another one with a different progestogen is Femoston and that one is also well tolerated by many women. You will see that some of the brands come in two doses 1 mg or 2 mg.

Hope this helps and good luck :)

Hurdity x

elainewin

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 08:35:44 PM »

oh really im on climagest 1mg ..just started 6 wks ago so it looks like when i go for my 3mth checkup ,i will have to change.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 05:45:00 PM »

Why will you have to change elainewin?

Hurdity

elainewin

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 07:32:38 PM »

hi above comment says its been discontinued ,unless im reading wrong lol .

senga

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 09:58:43 AM »

The one that upset me was Elleste Duet, and I persevered with it for over a year.  I got a pharmacist friend on to it (GP wasn't interested) and he reckoned it could be the inactive ingredients (colourings, coatings of tablets etc) and suggested Climagest which has been perfect.  It has exactly the same active ingredients as Elleste - oestradiol and norethisterone.

I've since been doing a bit of homework and the only difference I can see between the two is the colourings - Elleste has a yellow colouring and Climagest blue.  So I'm now going through all the possible alternatives to see what colourings they have!

As for it being discontinued, this was what I was told at the pharmacy last month - they were unable to dispense my prescription in full and could not order any more, telling me I'd need to go back to GP for an alternative.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 12:07:43 PM »

senga - if it is the colouring that is an issue, you may be able to get the same oestrogen and progesterone in separate pill packets - you may have to pay for two prescriptions though.  The alternative would be to try a patch which could also be worth trying?  DG x