Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Show us your Christmas tree!  (Read 12445 times)

bramble

Show us your Christmas tree!
« on: December 01, 2015, 09:08:16 PM »

Bramble
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 09:12:54 PM by bramble »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Show us your Christmas tree!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 09:17:35 PM »

There's clever  ;D

Ours is still in the attic - it will be dragged through the loft hatch, plugged in and hey presto!

Dulciana

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 09:29:15 PM »

Ours is in the attic too, CLKD.  But I'd love a real one this year, one that smells all fresh and pine-y.   And then nice little bags of chocolate pennies can be hung on it, as well as all the usual stuff.   Then I can go up to the tree and take some deep, Christmassy sniffs.............  :) :)   And the pine smell would drift up to our 18-foot-high ceiling, past our Minstrel's Gallery (well, that's what the estate agents called it when we were interested in buying this place 8 years ago.......what do you expect from a couple of fantasy-land musicians?)  Anyway, why shouldn't we have a real tree, just because we're in a flat?   We're only two floors up - it's not as if we're in a skyscraper and would have to send the used tree down by parachute at the end of Christmas..............I just have to win Hubby round................ ;)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 09:39:29 PM by Dulciana »

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 11:09:49 PM »

Ooh err Bramble.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 11:52:00 PM »

Dulciana - we cut our tree up using secateurs and put it into bin bags. It takes while but it means you don't have to drag it with the needles dropping.. or you could buy one of the ones that don't drop their needles. They are more expensive but are really lovely.

Taz x

Dulciana

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 08:09:06 AM »

Dulciana - we cut our tree up using secateurs and put it into bin bags. It takes while but it means you don't have to drag it with the needles dropping.. or you could buy one of the ones that don't drop their needles. They are more expensive but are really lovely.

Taz x

Those are good ideas, Taz.  Thanks!

I've just realised this is all about what people's trees look like  -  oh well, if you use your imagination, you'll get the idea!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 01:08:29 PM by Dulciana »

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 06:44:04 PM »

I have a phial of pine which I put onto cotton wool pads around the branches  ;)

Dulciana

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 07:44:12 PM »

Mmm, that's a nice idea, CLKD...........

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 07:55:37 PM »

We've only ever had a real one and wouldn't consider anything else - but we are lucky to live in the country so it's easy. That being the case it's far too early to put one up - we get ours at the last market (small local town) before Xmas and decorate it a couple of days before - and then it's something to make you feel all Christmassy - and as it's an actual tree it then lasts for the whole 12 day festival - since when did Christmas start on Dec 1st?!!  I would be bored with it by Jan 5th that's for sure!!! ;D Like Taz suggests we always get the non-drop type now so even easier - and usually one that's a bit imperfect that is sold off a bit cheaper - I think they cost less in a rural area too.... I also bring in lots of greenery from outside - holly, ivy, mistletoe (we have this on one of our apple trees :) ) and cypress from our neighbour - which I put in pots around the house, drape the dressers and shelves in ivy, stick holly springs over the pictures - basically there is greenery everywhere - but not until the week before :). We're going away for a week over Xmas this year so not sure about a tree - don't want to come back to nothing though as we are coming back on the 3rd day of Christmas so still nine more to go... anyway - whatever you like to do and what works is the main thing. We all have our own traditions :)

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 08:20:06 PM »

My outdoor tree near the front door is full of lights which I switch on mid-December.

bramble

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 08:38:24 PM »

Normally I put my outside tree up the first weekend in December - even with a real tree, being outdoors it lasts well into the New Year. But with my new tree this year it was a 1st Dec job. Could not wait! 'since when does Christmas start on the 1st?' - well here it does when you have a spanking new fabulous tree!!!! Each to her own!!

Bramble

Dulciana

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 08:17:30 AM »

since when did Christmas start on Dec 1st?!!  Hurdity x

Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!   Someone's said it at last.  Halleluia!!    :thankyou:

Ju Ju

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 09:12:25 AM »

My son always wanted the tree up as early as possible, but I resisted till a week before Christmas. When he started earning, he bought us an enormous artificial tree! We can't have a real one as handling real trees aggravated my eczema. I've had to invest in loads of lights and decorations! Now my son has moved into his own home the Christmas tree is up. Not here though. My daughter and grandson have been tasked with that as I won't be able to. They have no room in their tiny home for more than a few artistic Christmas branches, but they love the tree here.

Galadriel

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 09:20:52 AM »

Our outdoor lights are usually up and ready for the big switch-on on the 1st Dec but as it was blowing and hoolie and so wet last weekend, we decided not to risk life and limb.

Tomorrow I collect DD from her first term at Uni and she made me promise not to do any indoor decorating till she's home... no prizes for guessing what we are doing tomorrow afternoon.

Ours is a pre-lit tree in three sections and usually requires a little wrestling to get it set up and straight. DS is over 6 feet tall so I don't need stepladders for the star at the top.

I think I will have some mulled wine on the go while we work... oh and Michael Bubble too.

Galadriel x

dazned

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 09:23:46 AM »

Sounds divine !   ::)
Pages: [1] 2