Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hormone Tests  (Read 1247 times)

hewitt13

Hormone Tests
« on: December 01, 2015, 04:41:25 PM »

Hi all,
Had blood tests done two weeks ago due to bleeding and clotting for about 7 weeks. Came back as being anaemic but gp said I wasn't anywhere near menopause as my hormone levels were normal. Well that really peed me off as I'm going to be 58 in two weeks and
want this thing finished. How long can this go on for?
 Thanks,
Kim x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hormone Tests
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 04:43:55 PM »

Did your GP suggest anything for the anaemia?

Sorry - can't remember how far 'down the line' you might be  ::).  Blood tests are notoriously un-reliable.  What symptoms are you suffering with?

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 05:11:11 PM »

I understood that hormone tests were just a guide, mainly for early meno.  Not sure about late meno though  ::)  That does not seem to be flagged up in guidelines  :(

Hopefully, we have someone with experience around.

I would have thought that unusual bleeding would mean a referral to a gynae, just to make sure it is perimenopause after all.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 05:11:50 PM »

I would ask the receptionist for the actual readings of your blood tests - specifically FSH and LH and estradiol if these were tested. Also if you can get a print-out you are entitled to this.

It would be surprising at your age not to be even anywhere near peri-menopause. As CLKD says blood tests are unreliable, and are not supposed to be used if a woman presents with symptoms after the age of about 45 (according to the new NICE Guidelines). Do you have other symptoms and have your periods been irregular before the 7 week bleeding?

I can completely understand why you are feeling like this at your age!

Hurdity x

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 05:28:54 PM »

Hello Hewitt 13.

I just wanted to add that I always get a print off of any test results and this has proved very helpful. At my surgery I simply ask the receptionist and she prints a copy straight away.

Hope this helps and take care.

K.