Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Interaction between Tegretol and Trimethroprim (UTI infections)  (Read 2749 times)

Katejo

Interaction between Tegretol and Trimethroprim (UTI infections)
« on: November 29, 2015, 07:19:02 PM »

Hi All

I learnt something today which I wish I had known before so thought I would mention it here. Overnight I had initial symptoms of a UTI so decided to go to the out of hours doctor as a precaution. Earlier this year i had a similar episode and was given a 3 day course of Trimethroprim by a practice nurse. It didn't do the job and the symptoms came back with a vengeance. I mentioned this to the doctor today. He told me that there is an interaction between the 2 drugs. Tegretol causes Trimethroprim to leave the body more quickly than it should, before it has completed the job. for this reason, a 3 day course is insufficient and a 5 day course is needed.
I have a prescription to take if I still have symptoms tomorrow. Hopefully I won't need it.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Interaction between Tegretol and Trimethroprim (UTI infections)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 08:59:12 PM »

I would speak to other Pharmacists about this too ……….. and tell as many people as possible.  Is there nothing on the leaflets in either box?

Are you on treatment for vaginal atrophy though? urine 'infections' can mimic symptoms!

Katejo

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 09:10:26 PM »

I would speak to other Pharmacists about this too ……….. and tell as many people as possible.  Is there nothing on the leaflets in either box?

Are you on treatment for vaginal atrophy though? urine 'infections' can mimic symptoms!

Re. vaginal atrophy: No I haven't actually tried it but do have it to use if needed. just after the GP, gave me a prescription, the symptoms disappeared and didn't return until now.

I will look at the leaflet when I collect the prescription. I only got it late today. I am about to try the Boots cystitis relief sachet. GP said it was worth trying first

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 12:14:20 PM »

Only if you have cystitis - it won't help with atrophy  ::)

Let us know how you get on.

May I copy and paste to a pharmacist friend?

Katejo

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 03:16:05 PM »

Only if you have cystitis - it won't help with atrophy  ::)

Let us know how you get on.

May I copy and paste to a pharmacist friend?

Yes i know that it won't help with atrophy. Actually the symptoms are much improved now so I am holding off taking the AB for the moment and will just continue with the sachets. Yes it is fine to copy and paste. Would be interested to know what she says. I did mention it to the pharmacist this morning but he didn't comment and i was in a hurry to get to work. Haven't had time to check the patient info leaflet yet.
On a previous occasion I persuaded a doctor to let me have an AB prescription to keep as a reserve because I tend to get this problem at the most inconvenient times. I never actually took the medication at all but kept it for 2 years until it expired. Just having it meant that i didn't worry about getting the symptoms because I felt more in control. Perhaps just a coincidence but it  didn't feel that way.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 03:31:16 PM »

I think holding off taking ABs is important if other treatments ease symptoms!

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 04:15:44 PM »

Yes but sometimes it is hard to judge. I have delayed going to the GP before and it has got worse. Back in June I was given another AB (Nitrofurantoin) which did nothing for me at all. I now wonder whether Tegretol affects that one too. I have my annual neurology check up very soon. The consultant thinks I should try reducing the Tegretol as I have been seizure free for so long now. I will discuss this with him this time. The previous consultant who operated on me back in 1980 had advised against it.

Have just looked at my patient leaflet. No mention of anything to do with Tegretol. Only a brief reference to Phenytoin but no details.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 04:27:17 PM by katejo »

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 05:34:52 PM »

My friend was 'aware' of interactions but will make sure that it is discussed between colleagues

Katejo

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 08:54:46 PM »

Maybe the Boots cystitis treatment worked. I haven't had to start taking the AB course. Could be a coincidence but worth trying again if i get the same problem back.