Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Louisa  (Read 3500 times)

Louisa

Louisa
« on: November 23, 2015, 05:06:58 PM »

I am not technically a new member, before I was Bluebell59 and my comp had a virus so I've to start everything all over again.  How do you all cope with this Brain Fog thing, I am finding it rather scarey?  I am seeing my doc tomorrow, anything in particular I should ask?  My last period was in 1991, I had a hysterectomy due to cervical cancer but they left my ovaries in.  I've had a blood test which confirms I'm in the meno. I can't take hrt due to being on thyroid meds but I believe there is something else I can take beginning with 'D', whatever it is.  I think this is why I'm seeing the doc tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 08:43:19 PM by Louisa »

Dancinggirl

Re: Louisa
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 06:22:53 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM
Do read up all the info on this site to get clued up.  There are many ladies on here who have thyroid problems and still have HRT so it may be worth questioning this?  As you have had a hyster you would only need oestrogen and this may help with all sorts of things. Your alternative is probably an Anti depressant or SRRI but I doubt these would help with brain fog - these can make one feel detached and numb I believe and can also bring some difficult side effects. Do you get flushes &/or night sweats as well or is it just the brain fog?  DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 07:04:09 PM »

Browse round, do a search for any queries ……… lots happening, NICE guidelines could be helpful if GPs take them up!

I get the hazy brain fog too …… when I'm tired for example.

Louisa

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 08:46:18 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM
Do read up all the info on this site to get clued up.  There are many ladies on here who have thyroid problems and still have HRT so it may be worth questioning this?  As you have had a hyster you would only need oestrogen and this may help with all sorts of things. Your alternative is probably an Anti depressant or SRRI but I doubt these would help with brain fog - these can make one feel detached and numb I believe and can also bring some difficult side effects. Do you get flushes &/or night sweats as well or is it just the brain fog?  DG x

I do get night sweats, my husband says I'm like a 'reactor' throwing out heat. I also have no intention of taking anti depressants or SSRI's either - my old doctors surgery tried me with those and I only took 3, heavens I've never felt so bad in my whole life but that was a cpl of months ago so they are out of my system now. Thanks Dancinggirl

Louisa

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 08:47:10 PM »

Browse round, do a search for any queries ……… lots happening, NICE guidelines could be helpful if GPs take them up!

I get the hazy brain fog too …… when I'm tired for example.

Thanks CLKD, will look around before my appointment tomorrow.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 08:57:37 PM »

There are lots of ADs on the market.  Some people can't tolerate the side effects, I found the nausea impossible to bear but eventually my GP found something that worked  ;)

Without ………  :-X

Browse round, make notes - take a list to your GP and let us know how you get on  ;)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 04:42:47 PM by CLKD »

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 09:09:20 PM »

Hi Louisa

I do remember Bluebell59 but not any details!  Do you mind my asking how old you are? I agree with Dancinggirl - no reason not to take HRT if you are on thyroid meds but transdermal (patch or gel) is recommended because I understand it interacts less or not at all with thyroid meds.

All the info about oestrogen only HRT is here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatafter.php

Hurdity x

Louisa

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 09:39:44 PM »

Hi Louisa

I do remember Bluebell59 but not any details!  Do you mind my asking how old you are? I agree with Dancinggirl - no reason not to take HRT if you are on thyroid meds but transdermal (patch or gel) is recommended because I understand it interacts less or not at all with thyroid meds.

All the info about oestrogen only HRT is here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatafter.php

Hurdity x

I'm 56, (born in 1959) Hurdity.  Thanks for reminding me about patches, I am going to ask for those.  Also going to do more research on here as my appointment is at 2pm tomorrow so it gives me time to look etc.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 07:22:44 AM by Louisa »

Louisa

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 03:37:27 PM »

My doc listened, actually listened.  I've got Elleste Solo 1mg tablets, 3 months worth to see how I get on.. ANY problems to ring him immediately.  I take thyroid meds in the morning so I'll take these in the evening, 12 hrs apart.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 04:43:27 PM »

:thankyou:  4 the update!  Let us know how you get on!

Louisa

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 04:56:54 PM »

He discussed all the pro's and cons.  My old docs surgery said HRT isn't/wasn't prescribed anymore!  My old docs knew all this in May this year when I had my blood test which confirmed all of this. Anyway, have a new docs surgery now and efficient ones too.:)  Am to make an app with him in 3 months to see how I'm getting on etc.

ps.  "I don't believe it" (said Victor Meldrew), I've just read that a hysterectomy and thyroid probles are related ....why don't they tell you these things and deal with them rather than letting things get out of hand?   I was 32 when I had my hysterectomy, my thyroid started in 2005/6.  Why, they must of known, surley ???? :cuss: :valkyrie:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 06:15:33 PM by Louisa »

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 07:05:32 PM »

:bang: :bang: :bang:  no joined up thinking probably  >:(

littleminnie

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 06:28:42 PM »

I've been taking thyroid medication for 25 years and HRT patches for 4 years. Never had a problem.