Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Variable oestrogen dose?  (Read 1897 times)

Trufflecat

Variable oestrogen dose?
« on: November 27, 2015, 05:24:43 PM »

Does anyone here vary their oestrogen dose during the month? In peri I mean. If you are still producing oestrogen to some degree, but get a low mood when you get premenstrual. I think the drop on oestrogen is associated with that downward mood swing, so would it be reasonable to raise it during the 3rd week of the cycle?

Trufflecat

Re: Variable oestrogen dose?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 08:39:29 PM »

I am on Evorel 25 and am giving that a go for a few months. I was just wondering, and especially with people using gel!

Poppyflower

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 08:45:28 PM »

This is something that is very tempting to try, and I had considered it, but believe it is best to do if you are on gel. If you are going to experiment a bit I think it would be good to keep a mood journal so you can see if there is some sort of pattern and you can anticipate when you may need some extra. My gynae did speak to me about this as well and often starting out for women in perimenopause will prescribe 1 mg of oral estrogen only for 7-10 days before cycle starts and no progesterone. So many different things to consider, good luck and let us know if you decide to experiment and what results you get....Good Luck.

Trufflecat

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 09:30:31 PM »

I agree about the journal poppyflower. I have a chart! It makes very dull reading though!

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 08:40:56 AM »

Trufflecat - sounds lke an idea worth trying. I gather for pms some docs prescribe extra oestrogen to be taken during the  same point in their cycle ie to avoid the oestrogen dip so the same logic could well apply for early peri-menopause when on HRT. The background constant dose of oestrogen may not be enough to prevent the big dip - if your own natural levels are still fluctuating to an extreme level? There are no HRT preparations that do this - and the only one that is variable in oestrogen dose has 7 tablet free days - which could only compound the problem!

Hurdity X

Trufflecat

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 09:09:55 AM »

Thanks Hurdity. I will give the Evorel 25 a few months to see and then think about switching to a gel, or a higher dose patch for part of the cycle. It seems, having read around things on here, that really everything needs a three month trial to see what the effect is