Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hallucinating on Utrogestan and Sandrena gel  (Read 10888 times)

Sandie77

Hallucinating on Utrogestan and Sandrena gel
« on: November 26, 2015, 09:17:48 AM »

Hi All,

This sounds strange I know but I have been taking Utrogestan and Sandrena for 5 days now. It's the first HRT I have taken for my Early Menopause.

I started off with a severe migraine first 2 days (I do suffer with them on and off anyway) this has now passed. The last two days I have felt very agitated and last night  I was hearing things that weren't there like an auditory hallucination. It is not listed in the side effects although delusions are mentioned in Sandrena pack and anxiety.

I do get a lot of drug reactions generally but this is horrible. Anyone else experienced it or have any suggestions?

Thank you

Cassie

Re: Hallucinating on Utrogestan and Sandrena gel
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 10:07:44 AM »

Utrogestan gives me strange dreams, from time to time.....

Sandie77

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 10:31:38 AM »

Hi, thank you for replying, yes I was having very vivid dreams as well. Do you still take it?

Sandie77

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 12:18:30 PM »

Hi Stellajane,

Do you find it tolerable using it vaginally? Did the doctor suggest trying that route after side effects? Think I may try and get referred to a gynaecologist.

Thanks Sandie x

dazned

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 01:17:19 PM »

I ,like a few on here use it vaginally  ;)

Sandie77

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 03:28:09 PM »

Thanks so much, at least I know I am not going totally nuts!! Although my husband may disagree after the last few years  😉
I will ask the GP to refer me x

Cassie

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 03:46:16 PM »

Yes have been on it for years I only take it a few days per month so kinda grin and bear it.

Mary G

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 06:12:51 PM »

From my experience, Utrogestan is definitely better taken vaginally because it works better, much more of it reaches the womb and it has fewer side effects taken in this way - like painful breasts for example.  You find that you don't get migraines and can tolerate it when taken vaginally. 

I can well believe you have had strange side effects and I'm afraid all types of synthetic progestin and, to a lesser extent, Utrogestan cause migraines and strange dreams for some people. 

I agree that you might want to consult a gynaecologist who may have some other suggestions because as others have said, you are probably going to be on HRT for many years due to early menopause.

As a fellow (silent in my case) migraine sufferer, I doubt that any synthetic progestins will agree with you. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 07:18:55 PM »

Crikey  :o what on Earth is in this product that causes hallucinations  :-X ……… or might it be the 'coating'?

Mary G

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 08:57:07 PM »

Stellajane, I feel the same way, I love what I call the 'life changing oestrogel' and can't recommend it enough but I hate all types of progesterone. 

If only somebody could invent a way of disabling the womb to stop the lining building up so we never have to take it. 

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 08:54:59 AM »

.....also to add Sandie that 5 days is a very short time if you have just started HRT! If your body has been deprived of oestrogen and depending on the dose, you will be experiencing some side effects from this too - but these should settle. Sudden changes in the levels of both hormones cause some side effects. That's why you need to give it a while longer. The oestrogen effects should settle so that you feel good, but if you are intolerant of the progesterone - these will continue especially if you are taking it continuously.

If you are having an early menopause have you though of taking it cyclically so that you have a regular withdrawal bleed like a period? Several of us on this thread are doing that because we don't like/can't tolerate continuous progesterone. It has to be taken in quite high doses orally in irder for sufficient to reach the uterus where it is needed, and this gives rise to side effects in many women.

Hurdity x

Sandie77

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 10:17:22 AM »

Hello, yes I think I will ask a gynaecologist about going cyclical or perhaps using Utrogestan vaginally. I think I am feeling some benefits from the Sandrena oestrogen already, my muscles feel less achy and I have a little more energy and brain power.

I do wonder how much of my Fibromyalgia is actually the menopause, I have been virtually housebound through exhaustion and poor cognitive function this last year. Getting my hypothyroidism sorted has made a big difference and I think HRT is probably the next piece of the jigsaw.

Just wish I had made more fuss about my lack of periods when I kept being told it was the Fibromyalgia causing it, then maybe I could have avoided getting into this mess.....live and learn😉

Happy to be getting somewhere with it all now and so grateful for the advice from you all xx

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 12:49:27 PM »

Keeping a diary can be useful.  Give it at least 3-4 months to allow your body to adjust.

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 05:32:34 PM »

Interesting what you say about fibromyalgia because a high number of women in mid life are diagnosed with this and CFS and this is the time that many women also experience underactive thyroid (one cause of fibro) and menopause - low oestrogen levels,  and also low testosterone. If only doctors would give women a full MOT of all of this and really look into it, and then give the proper treatment, I am sure many women would not be fobbed off with this and just given painkillers or a "there there" and left to get on with it. I know several women on here who have resisted such a diagnosis and have found that hormonal treatment alleviates the symptoms. One woman's gynae (as she reported on here) even said that it is a collection of (albeit often debilitating) symptoms and not a disease as such - and has a variety of causes, if only one could find out what!

I do hope you continue to see an improvment so that you can function and enjoy life to the full again :)

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 08:18:25 PM »

Hurdity - I agree.  We should be listened to  :-\
Pages: [1] 2