Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hot flushes back after 9 months on HRT?  (Read 4103 times)

Rebelyell

Hot flushes back after 9 months on HRT?
« on: November 22, 2015, 11:21:21 AM »

As those who have read my posts know, I suffer massively from health anxiety and sometimes have full blown panic attacks.   To be honest, it is as bad on as it is off HRT so might have to accept it is part of life, rather than meno related.   But HRT did stop hot flushes until this week.  Can't decide if I anxiety is causing them or if my oestrogen levels have fallen further.  Am on oestrogen only, progynova as had hysterectomy years ago but kept ovaries.

My health anxiety is, for some reason, out of control this week so am imagining all sorts and having all sorts of panic attack symptoms.   But rational brain says that as I am alright when busy and not thinking about physicality, it must be in my mind.
Any ideas?

Dancinggirl

Re: Hot flushes back after 9 months on HRT?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 01:04:10 PM »

Rebelyell - anxiety is so difficult to control.  I don't know what dose of oestrogen you are on but I doubt you need more.  I do think that some women need both HRt and an AD to help with anxiety.  I assume you have tried CBT and/or Mindful Meditation? - I have found these really helpful through stressful times. Keeping busy, eating small meals often and getting some good exercise is really important as well. Learning to relax is not easy but very helpful.  DG x

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 01:09:29 PM »

I've been on 50 for years (apart from two breaks) but now need to up it to 75 to keep my flushes under control - well I will be able to up it when doc is convinced that  my higher BP reading - 150/95 was due to being slightly stressed in the surgery as I had to wait for an hour (not the docs fault) when it was difficult enough to get time away from work as it was! I am almost 62 and up to last year 50 was fine.

Taz x

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 02:17:19 PM »

Rebelyell, have you thought about switching from tablets to gel or patch?  I find the gel far more effective than anything else and if you are taking oral oestrogen, much can be lost in your digestive system.  I would recommend you give the gel a try and luckily you will not need to use progesterone.  You might also want to consider taking testosterone.

Sorry to hear about your health anxiety problem, I can relate to the two brains, one rational and the other irrational.  Health anxiety hits all ages and sexes and I don't think it has much to do with the menopause per se.  That said, very low levels of oestrogen are never going to make you feel good and could make you more vulnerable to depression and anxiety in general. 

I had a severe bout of HA when I left college and started work and I then went on to develop phobias about vomiting in public and travelling on trains but it subsided as I got older.  My partner suffers with HA now and he is a man in his forties.  I think it is very debilitating and should be taken seriously because it can really take you over.  It usually centres around a deep rooted fear of cancer and imaging every symptom is a sign of cancer.  If it gets very bad, I believe ADs work quite well.   

Rebelyell

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 09:32:41 AM »

Thanks ladies, wonderful advice and support as usual.

Think I will ask about gel, good idea Mary.

No health anxiety while busy yesterday so must find a way of dealing with it.

Have a lovely week everybody.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 12:16:34 PM »

Hi Rebelyell - you didn't say what dose Progynova you were on and this does come in two doses 1 mg and 2 mg - but also depends on how you digest/absorb the oestrogen from a tablet as to how much gets into your system. If you are on the lower dose then a higher dose (of the same product) might help.

However I do agree with  Mary G that a transdermal method would be good to try at this point! I use patches but you can adjust the amount more easily with gel and since you don't have to worry about a progestogen this must be a good thing! It does have to be applied daily though.

Taz - hope the blood pressure is sorted soon - and I am amazed the doc is saying that 75 mcg is OK at over 60 - fab news! I presume the important thing is to have a dose which controls symptoms and if 50 mcg isn't doing it then time for more....

Hurdity x

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 07:25:58 AM »

I was surprised I must admit! My last lovely doc (who has now moved on) suggested that Estradot would be a good HRT to use as I could increase to 75 if needed and true to her word it is there on my notes so the new doc was fine with it. She has looked at the overall picture and although there are risks - mostly to heart health - the risks to my pelvic floor without it would be greater. Swings and roundabouts.

Taz x