Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Interesting Question from a Pharmacist  (Read 4790 times)

Kathleen

Interesting Question from a Pharmacist
« on: November 25, 2015, 01:44:34 PM »

Hello ladies.

I was chatting to a Pharmacist today and when talking about the Utrogestan capsules she said that they should be taken orally as per the manufacturers instructions as they are designed to encounter stomach acid and would not properly degrade in the vagina as the environment is so different.

I am sure this question has been raised before, infact when I was using Utrogestan vaginally and experiencing spotting I remember being helped by the wonderful ladies on this site.

I am on patches ATM and after a good spell I'm struggling again, hence the HRT chat in the chemists! I admit that her comments have worried me and it would be great if anyone has put this specific question to a medic and been reassured that the oral capsules are equally effective when used vaginally.
If any of you ladies have some thoughts on the matter I would love to hear them and I'm sure any information would be welcomed by other forum members as well.
Wishing everyone a good day.

K.

Hurdity

Re: Interesting Question from a Pharmacist
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 05:07:13 PM »

I agree with Stellajane. Not sure where the pharmacist got that from. The same capsule is available for vaginal use for fertility treatment so if there was a problem it wouldn't work! Also even though it is not licensed for vaginal use in UK, the same product is licensed for use in this way elsewhere in Europe and I have a translation of the product leaflet (from the French) sent to me by the manufacturers which bears this out ie recommends vaginal use where there a re side effects form oral use.

As Stellajane - if it didn't work, none of us would get bleeds. In any case there are scientific papers which demonstrate its efficacy (in its action on the uterus) and even though they don't mention the brand name - it is the only brand available so presumably the research was carried out using this product? Also as she says - we are led in its use this way by reports of women on here who visit private gynaes and who kindly share their experiences and recommendations too.

Hurdity x

Cassie

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 05:56:34 PM »

I agree with the above ladies, I have been using them vaginally for many years and they are def working had a scan just last week and my lining is lovely and thin @ 3mm also have a good 5 day bleed monthly so I think your pharmacist is grasping @ straws sorry.

Briony

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 06:06:04 PM »

Are the Utrogestan tablets prescribed (to be taken vaginally) for fertility reasons the same capsules? I had assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that they are. If so, surely that suggests they are OK to be taken vaginally? The only difference i can see is dosage and the fact that the vaginal capsules have applicators too.

http://www.mims.co.uk/drugs/obstetrics-and-gynaecology/infertility/utrogestan-vaginal-capsules

Peterspots

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 06:09:55 PM »

It's worth checking if the casings are the same for the ones prescribed vaginally (if that is a word) or orally? They may be different hence th stomach acid comment

Peterspots

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 06:16:00 PM »

http://www.besins-healthcare.com/pdf/Utrogestan%20200mg%20PIL%20(English).pdf

Says it can be taken either way depending on need/prescribing doctor

Cassie

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 06:57:30 PM »

Its exactly the same tablet that is used for fertility. Personally I cannot understand why anyone would swallow them when they work so well the other way  ;)

Mary G

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 07:33:36 PM »

My gynaecologist thinks the complete opposite!  She thinks they are far more effective taken vaginally (preferably placed right at the neck of the womb) because nearly all of it reaches the spot.  Much of it gets lost in your system when you take it orally and you will need to take much more to get the same effect.  Also, there are fewer side effects like breast pain and digestive problems when taken vaginally.  I don't understand why other countries licence it for use in this way and the UK doesn't. 

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 08:00:19 PM »

EnglishRose - unfortunately that is an out of date leaflet (2002) and is unlikely to have been produced for UK - I don't think it was available here then. The current PIL are more specific for fertilty/HRT and dosage - with the ones for fertility giving vag use and those for HRT giving oral use. Even the SPC (summary of product characteristics) which is more detailed does not specify vag use for the HRT version.

It beats me why it can't be licensed like this in UK (ie vag)....

I agree Cassie and Mary G - although I wouldn't want to use them vaginally continuously for obvious reasons  ::)

Hurdity x

Kathleen

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 09:49:49 AM »

Hello ladies.

Thank you so much for your responses. I thought the Pharmacist was mistaken but now I  have the confidence to challenge her.

Thanks again and wishing you all a good day.

K.

Cassie

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 10:06:56 AM »

I agree Hurdity, only suffer for 12 days per mth..... ;)

Spangles

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2015, 11:44:43 AM »

Hi
I use utro vaginally and my GP says it's ok, I use it this way as it reduces side effects for me.
xXx