Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Newbie advice needed  (Read 1514 times)

Joannemum7

Newbie advice needed
« on: November 23, 2015, 05:09:10 PM »

Hi im Joanne im 39 40 in march just found out im going threw menopause. I had a feeling i was younger sister got told she was beginning of year. Doctor wants me to go on hrt. Need pros and cons please. Not had period for 10 weeks longest time doctor also said. She would like me to have period every 3 months. If don't have one myself forgot to ask why thanks in advance for any replies

Dancinggirl

Re: Newbie advice needed
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 06:33:47 PM »

Hi and welcome Joannemum7
Thank goodness your doctor is clued up.  At your age you definitely need HRT to protect you from osteoporosis and heart disease and other unpleasant problems that emerge due to oestrogen deficiency at such a young age. Do read up all the info on this site to get clued up. The down side is that it can be trial and error finding the right HRT that works best for you but I would ask for Femoston 1/10 to start with as this has a kinder progesterone that many women tolerate better. You get a withdrawal bleed each month on this HRT type but this shouldn't be too bad and I believe is better when starting HRT. Why she is suggesting the 3 monthly bleed I'm not sure - this regime is rather falling out of favour as it can cause a build up of the womb lining so erratic and problematic bleeding can happen. The reason you need a withdrawal bleed is to make sure your womb lining doesn't thicken; a thickened lining can bring a small risk of womb cancer but more importantly is likely to cause problematic bleeding. Once you have gone deeper into post menopause you can move onto a continuous HRT which stops all bleeding.  Keep us posted.  Dg x

Joannemum7

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 08:10:40 PM »

Or thankyou for your advice will read up on it. Back there middle of December to for 2nd blood test for menopause and see if i had a bleed by then

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 08:20:45 PM »

At last  :bounce:  a clued up GP  :medal:

:welcomemm: as stated, at an early age you need to protect your heart and bones.  HRT can help with this.  As can regular weight bearing exercise, a good diet, 'me' time and as much fresh fruit and veg. as possible.  There is a search button here so any queries you can press that 2 C if there are other similar threads.  Ask away. 

Your GP may well send you for a scan of your womb to check the lining 'depth' before beginning treatment.  Let us know how you get on.

BrightLight

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 08:26:50 PM »

Hi Joannemum  you could also look up the Daisy Network, they have a website with lots of information for women with an 'early' menopause x

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 09:04:47 PM »

Hi Joannemum7

:welcomemm:

Hurdity x