Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Past Christmas dinners !  (Read 10849 times)

Pennyfarthing

Re: Past Christmas dinners !
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2021, 09:43:01 PM »

Nice to see this thread resurrected.  Interested reading my posts too.  Poor Mum crying most of the day ….. her heart always was in Ireland, always.

Coming from a large family with 8 kids and lots of extended family she came to England when she married my Dad and, as I said in my post, his family were not close.  Dad was also very quiet and reserved and wasn’t one for social events.  So she came from a home full of singing and laughter and everyone doing “turns” and bursting at the seams with people to a very much quieter home and she found that very difficult. 

Right up until she died, apart from the last 2 days when she was completely out of it, she talked of nothing else but going “home”.  I asked her whether she meant to our family home many times but she always said “No, to Ireland.”   :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2021, 09:42:26 AM »

Home is often where the heart is and home sickness is very real.  The missing people and traditions; wondering what they are getting up to ........ a surge of "Did I do the right thing!"

The Irish I think have a specific closeness, even when shouting and screaming at each other  ::)

For a couple of years I didn't put decorations up, this year I feel quite Festive.   :-\ ......... DH's family always cooked a turkey; ours had pheasant; occasionally a Capon but can't buy those now.  I prefer my C.mas pudding in July, on the patio, covered in custard.  The pud that is not the patio  :D

Ju Ju

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2021, 05:01:48 PM »

In 2005, DH and I were travelling round NZ and spent Christmas in Christchurch. Christmas Eve we went to a carol service in the cathedral that has since been destroyed in the earthquake. Christmas Day afternoon was spent in the beautiful botanical gardens, yet we were both depressed and homesick. We missed our family and vowed never to spend Christmas away again.

Christmas this year? DD will come here and cook dinner, then disappear to see her partner’s family. I will clear up listening to a very old recording of Christmas carols. Recorded before I was born! My 9 year old GS will bring a child’s Christmas excitement. We will coordinate unwrapping with my sons family in the USA via FaceTime. More children’s excitement! I usually invite a friend who lives on her own in the afternoon.  Boxing Day my DD and co will come back for the whole day and DD will cook again! I loathe cooking, but she loves it. I did well having a lovely daughter who enjoys cooking!

DH used not to enjoy Christmas as he would be on duty as a policeman. Now he loves it as much as the rest of us.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 05:04:11 PM by Ju Ju »

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2021, 07:22:21 PM »

In 2005, DH and I were travelling round NZ and spent Christmas in Christchurch. Christmas Eve we went to a carol service in the cathedral that has since been destroyed in the earthquake. Christmas Day afternoon was spent in the beautiful botanical gardens, yet we were both depressed and homesick. We missed our family and vowed never to spend Christmas away again.

Christmas this year? DD will come here and cook dinner, then disappear to see her partner’s family. I will clear up listening to a very old recording of Christmas carols. Recorded before I was born! My 9 year old GS will bring a child’s Christmas excitement. We will coordinate unwrapping with my sons family in the USA via FaceTime. More children’s excitement! I usually invite a friend who lives on her own in the afternoon.  Boxing Day my DD and co will come back for the whole day and DD will cook again! I loathe cooking, but she loves it. I did well having a lovely daughter who enjoys cooking!

DH used not to enjoy Christmas as he would be on duty as a policeman. Now he loves it as much as the rest of us.

Poor you.That sounds like one of my late Irish Aunties. She had 4 children all close in age, worked in their business fulltime and was always on the go.  When all the children left home and got married she said she would love to go abroad for Christmas to get some sunshine and not have to cook for crowds of people. They went to the Canaries and had a beautiful hotel but she was so homesick and spent most of her holiday ringing all the kids and grandkids.  She never did it again.
Pages: 1 2 [3]