Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Past Christmas dinners !  (Read 10848 times)

Claireylou

Re: Past Christmas dinners !
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2015, 03:30:22 PM »

That's so sad cubagirl.  :foryou:

Joyce

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2015, 04:03:04 PM »

Only thing I can remember as a child was TOTP.

We've always had fun since our kids were born though. Always something which had us in stitches. Blow football after our meal one year, had us all crying with laughter. Two years ago at son's when remote controlled helicopter crashed into their light fitting, causing glass shade to detach & land on rug with no damage. Thought my son would expire, he laughed so much. Magical memories!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2015, 04:42:26 PM »

A lot of my childhood is hidden, deep ……… there's a message there somewhere  ::)

Brawn - in Wales they colour it pink and call it 'pork cheese'  ::) - still yuk but relatives seemed to enjoy it.   :-X  However, pork pie for breakfast is a gob full too far  :D: I can eat it if I fancy it, preferring the pastry …….

Joyce

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2015, 05:23:28 PM »

Just looked at a picture of it. I remember seeing it, but never eating it, thankfully!  :)

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2015, 05:31:39 PM »

Pigs' trotters: apparently  :-X

Joyce

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2015, 05:35:12 PM »

Never saw why folk like pig's trotters.  :sick02:

Scampi

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2015, 05:57:29 PM »

In many places, Cubagirl, a whole street would keep a pig.  They would feed it their scraps for the year and when it was ready it was slaughtered and shared out - pigs will eat (and thrive!) on anything, and the saying goes that the only thing you can't eat is the squeal!  So people ate pigs' trotters for the same reason they ate brawn and all the other bits of a pig you probably wouldnt want to think about- no waste.  Nowadays, there's something of a revival of the 'no waste' thinking amongst some people - their attitude is if you're going to kill the animal, at least have the courtesty to eat it all.  Not my choice - I eat the bits I like - but I can see their thinking.

Joyce

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2015, 06:44:17 PM »

Oh I understand the 'no waste.'  Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall appears to be trying to promote this. My mum was a great believer in this. During wartime it was necessary to do this. I prefer to eat the bits I like too.  :)

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2015, 07:03:18 PM »

Pigs' trotters are the basis of brawn.  We have roasted them, quite tasty with veggies. 

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2015, 07:26:07 PM »

In many places, Cubagirl, a whole street would keep a pig.  They would feed it their scraps for the year and when it was ready it was slaughtered and shared out - pigs will eat (and thrive!) on anything, and the saying goes that the only thing you can't eat is the squeal!  So people ate pigs' trotters for the same reason they ate brawn and all the other bits of a pig you probably wouldnt want to think about- no waste.  Nowadays, there's something of a revival of the 'no waste' thinking amongst some people - their attitude is if you're going to kill the animal, at least have the courtesty to eat it all.  Not my choice - I eat the bits I like - but I can see their thinking.

When we were small my Dad worked at a hotel as a gardener and was on very low wages.  He and his friend bought a pig  between them and fed it on a lot of food scraps from the hotel. It was fattened and slaughtered and my Mum says it kept them going for months. 

Our butcher does hog roasts and he always says the tastiest part of a pig, in his opinion, is the cheeks. 

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2015, 07:39:51 PM »

Yep, roasted. 

Joyce

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2015, 07:45:13 PM »

The cheeks definitely PF! Had in restaurant once, the meat was so tasty & tender.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2015, 08:38:59 PM »

The cheeks definitely PF! Had in restaurant once, the meat was so tasty & tender.

I've never had them and I can't say I've ever seen them on a menu.  Ive just been reading that they are considered a delicacy in France and italy.  I will try in future.  :)

Joyce

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2015, 11:04:40 PM »

I have to say it was awfully posh restaurant.  ;) We were on holiday & treated ourselves.
Beef cheeks are good too by the way.

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2021, 08:00:03 PM »

After Dad died in 2006 we began different traditions i.e. opening gifts throughout the day.  DH took over the main meal with Mum preparing veg., whilst I fielded the C.mas Day phone calls.  When she went into care - this will be her 4th there - we stayed in her house, cooked our meal on C.mas Eve and ate it cold with crisps and bread rolls in our camper outside the Home - whilst she ate her meal with the other residents.  Joining in was a step too far  ;D

Now we are here.  We two.  Doing as we like.  Probably after breakfast we will go for a walk, heat up the C.mas pud for lunch and eat in the evening, fitting it in with what ever is on TV.

Yourselves?
Pages: 1 [2] 3