Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: pains in swollen legs  (Read 2202 times)

mcdonb

pains in swollen legs
« on: November 18, 2015, 06:33:47 PM »

For the past few months ive had pains in my legs at night in bed. These pains have started during tbe day now too and my legs have become very swollen and heavy. This became worse when i had my first period for 6 months. Anyone have the same problems? Could it be water retention? Seems to be thighs to just below my knee.
Ive tried Google but got scared that i now have liver /heart problems  :-\

Taz2

Re: pains in swollen legs
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 06:40:35 PM »

Hi mcdonb.

Sorry to hear about your swollen thighs. I would say that you really should see your GP about this. I appreciate that you are worried it could be a sign of heart or liver problems but, then again, it could be something really simple. You do need to see your doc though so that you can have any treatment necessary as the longer you leave it the worse it may become.

Have you any other health conditions? I'm not sure how old you are?

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Briony

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 08:10:22 PM »

Definitely see the GP first off as it could be indicative of so many things. In my case,  it was hormone related fluid retention and it was always worse in the week(s) before I came on. In the end I wore special diabetic socks as the elastic on normal ones annoyed me too much!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 08:28:28 PM »

Get those legs 'up', higher than your hips.  Then get an appt with your Practice Nurse or GP ASAP.  Swollen legs can be signs of various conditions which can usually be treated, however, if left and the skin starts to break down, ulcers can become problematic.

Let us know how you get on.  Browse round, make notes  ;)

mcdonb

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 08:30:17 PM »

Hi both
Thanks for the replies.
Im 54 and doctor confirmed several months ago i was at the beginning of the menopause. Ive managed to control hot flushes with sage and starflower - thanks to all info on the forums here. Sleep is getting better now also. Things seemed to be settling down. I hadnt had a period for 6 months until sunday and then came the swollen legs too. No other health problems.
I will make an appointment at the doctors.
Thanks again  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 08:37:15 PM »

Do elevate the legs at night with pillows  ;)

mcdonb

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 08:09:22 PM »

Hello. Managed to get a doctors appointment today. Happy to report nothing more sinister than slight water retention  and nothing to worry about.
Thanks for all your advice  ;D

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 11:20:26 PM »

That's good  news! Did the doc say what's causing it?

Taz x