Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: HRT v the Menopause Madness!  (Read 3578 times)

PJ

HRT v the Menopause Madness!
« on: November 18, 2015, 07:46:26 PM »

Hi.  Just joined the Forum today.  55 years of age, had a total hysterectomy 5 years ago after being on HRT for five years.  Experienced every symptom the menopause can throw at me and thought I would plow through it and suffered in silence.  Now discover that symptoms can last up to 12 years!  I feel that I am going very quietly mad. 

Finally spoke to my doctor a couple of weeks ago who told me I can go back on HRT if I want.  But I dont want to go back on it only to have to go through the horrendous affects again in another 5 years time. Told the GP this but he made no comment.   

Would welcome any member's experience of using HRT to cope with the menopause and the severity of the symptoms once you stopped using it.

Many thanks

PJ   

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT v the Menopause Madness!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 08:25:45 PM »

:welcomemm:  if you are hungry, do you not eat  ;).  If HRT eased symptoms prior to surgery, why not give it a try?  Recent Guidelines tell us we can take it for ever if the prescription suits!  Get your Life back.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 11:13:38 PM »

Hi PJ

:welcomemm:

If you weren't fully menopausal when you had your hysterectomy then your body will have gone into shock so no wonder you felt the full force of menopause. Did you keep your ovaries?

We have discussed this several times - some women barely get any symptoms and for some they go on for some time - and it could be up to 12 years as you say. You don't know which you will be. However, the way those of us who are staying on it look at it is - even if you do experience symptoms when you come off, you have still had all those years when you were on it feeling good and coping - and if we are now living into our 90's, every year we can have when we are young is worth a lot. You are also benefitting your heart and bones for longer too.

I didn't even start HRT until I was around 54 and still on it in my 60's. I presume I will come off it at some point. However if I had had a hysterectomy and didn't have to take progesterone - I wouldn't hesitate to be on it for a very long time - at least 70!!

My symptoms started to return even when I dropped th dose from 50 mcg patch to 37.5 mcg so I went back up to the higher dose. I am prepared to take the risks, such that there are, and deal with the symptoms when the times comes.

Also most women will not get their pensions until 66 so it makes sense to take HRT at least until retirement age - otherwise how are women expected to cope with working? I am sure there are other women who have come off and have happily adjusted but really at your young age I would go for it if your doc is supportive :)

Hurdity x

PJ

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 10:00:56 AM »

Hi Hurdity.

Thank you ever so much for your response. You asked if I kept the ovaries - no, everything was removed including the cervix.   I have spoken to family and friends but they aren't in the position that you or I are in so don't really understand.  You make absolute sense particularly when you talk about us working until 66!  I suspect due to lack of sleep, my brain just isn't as sharp as it was and my confidence has decreased especially on the work front and I am feeling quite anxious but don't know why - all quite disconcerting.

I am leaning towards going back to the GP - will let you know.  I really appreciate your feedback.

PJ x     

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 10:28:20 AM »

PJ - as always, Hurdity has given sound advice and support. My neighbour had a hyster in her 40s and now in her mid 50s was still suffering with bad night sweats and flushes.  I asked her if she had been offered some oestrogen and she was unaware that it was an option!!! Off she went to the GP who has given her oestrogel and she is now a happy women, sleeping well and enjoying life. I believe you can stay on Oestrogen as long as you want provided there are no health issues that prevent this - live in the here and now and get your life back.
I'm59 and on low dose Oestrogel with Utrogestan and hope to be on this for many years.  DG x

PJ

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 08:34:32 PM »

Thanks Dancinggirl.  x