Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Head pains  (Read 5581 times)

HorsesHorses

Head pains
« on: November 17, 2015, 11:38:59 PM »

Hello again all,
Haven't posted for a while as was actually feeling ok. Then just lately the flushes, anxiety, extra emotion and moods and fatigue have all returned along with something new. I'm guessing it's meno related seeing as these old symptoms are back but like I say, it's new and thought I could check it out on here.
I've been getting sharp pains in my head, mainly at the front and top, so not strictly head aches, just random stabbing pains. Sometimes I feel a pressure if I bend forward too. It's been going on for 3 weeks so I went to my gp who doesn't think it's anything serious but has described amitryp something or other (the box is downstairs at mo). It's an anti depressant and I'm not mad keen on taking it. As usual the doc wouldn't entertain the idea of this having anything to do with menopause but I have read that tension headaches can be a symptom. My concern is the fact that these seem to be individual pains rather than headaches so wondering if something else. Doc didn't offer me any tests so now I'm worried it's something more being ignored.
Has anyone else suffered similar? Wondering if the extra tiredness and anxiety is causing them.
Would appreciate your input. Thanks in advance.
HH

Taz2

Re: Head pains
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 07:41:51 AM »

Hi HorsesHorses - there is a particular type of migraine called Ice Pick which this sounds similar to. http://www.migrainesurvival.com/stabbing-headache-or-icepick-headache

Amitrtryptiline is often given in a low dose for pain relief - it is one of the other things this anti depressant is used for. I was prescribed it for the pain of fibromyalgia - 10mg I think - and it did help.

Sometimes eyestrain can give rise to stabbing type pains. Have you had your eyes tested lately? If not it might be a good idea and this would then put your mind at rest that there's not something more sinister going on.

Taz x

rosie c

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 11:05:06 AM »

Hi ... Ive had this ! a real stabbing pain, in the head usually, that brings you up short and before you know, it has gone . Not pleasant a little worrying but i do suffer from sinus pain in my head sometimes and have noticed when i am struggling with that,... the sharp pains are there. The pressure you feel .... could it be sinus pressure ?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 01:32:08 PM »

I get the sudden sharp pain in the eye/s ………. also in the head in various places, fortunately neither is very often. Makes me go 'oh' each time though  :-\

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 05:09:32 PM »

Crikey, thanks Taz, I've had the feeling like someone's stabbing me in the eye with a needle, very briefly and infrequently but stupidly never related it to my migraines which affect in and around my right eye!  You learn something new everyday!  :thankyou:

S x

You're welcome!

Taz x

HorsesHorses

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 11:41:56 AM »

Thank you all. I find your replies more reassuring than the doctors who refuse to acknowledge meno symptoms other than hot flushes.
xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 12:37:38 PM »

……. and if we don't have hot flushes, then we apparently ain't menopausal  :cuss:  ::)

marras

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 08:27:05 PM »

Hi HH, I'm a migraine sufferer and in between the migraines I get lots of stabbing pains in my head which I understand other sufferers of migraine get.  Amitryptline is a drug used as a prophylactic for migraine and I'm on 15mg and it's helped immensely. It's a drug that's used for all sorts of things so don't dwell too much on the fact that it's an AD.