Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: advice  (Read 2624 times)

sebx

advice
« on: November 17, 2015, 09:28:18 PM »

I was just told by my GP today that the likliehood is I'm going through the menopause (to get another blood test in 6 weeks to confirm).  Because I'm in my early 40's he's told me I'm relatively young, and classed as early menopause, so wants to discuss possible options with me for treatment.  I am quite shocked at just how emotional I have felt all day about this, and generally just feeling horrible!  any advice from anyone who is on HRT.  do you recommend it?  thanks in advance xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: advice
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 10:10:52 PM »

:bighug:  …..   :welcomemm:

It is often a shock for ladies not expecting to learn they are menopausal  ::).  At such an early age you will require oestrogen treatment to maintain healthy bones and heart.  Have a browse round.  Make notes  ;)

Ask away!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 10:17:23 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM
My menopause started in my mid 30s and I started HRT at 37. Early menopause is more common than you'd would think. Do read up all the info on this site to get clued up. Hopefully your GP will offer you HRT which you really should consider as it will replace the vital oestrogen your body needs at your age and prevent long term health problems as a result of oestrogen deficiency.
I am 59 now and on a low dose of HRT which I hope to continue for many years yet - I have tried being without HRT but life is soooo much better with HRT the benefits far outweigh the small risks. It's trial and error finding the right HRt preparation but it's well worth trying.
Keep us posted.  DG x

BrightLight

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 10:42:04 PM »

Hello - it can be a shock when you are not expecting the news that menopause might be a factor in things, similar happened to me this year.  I cannot comment on HRT as I am not using it, but as has been said, you will need to consider it if you are indeed entering menopause in your early 40's.  Having said that, you do need the two hormones blood tests to confirm a diagnosis and then need to have no periods for 2 years to be classed as in menopause, so perhaps stay open minded as to what happens next. :)

Are you experiencing any symptoms that are concerning you?  I had a 'strange' period at the start of this year which triggered a blood test for thyroid and hormones which came back in the menopausal range, my second blood test 6 weeks later was in the normal range.  This is also a possibility as hormones can rise and fall dramatically in perimenopause. 

I hope you feel a bit better soon x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 05:53:59 PM »

Hi sebx

:welcomemm:

Hurdity x

lancashirelass

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 06:04:55 PM »

Check out daisy network site it is for early meno ladies loads of info on there for younger ladies

Mary G

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 07:17:20 PM »

sebx, welcome to MM.

I can understand why it has come as a shock, it did to me too because I was also young - the doctor kept saying "you are very young".  I was not expecting it at all and only found out after a blood test although I did wonder why my internal thermostat was not working very well. 

Being younger makes it all the more import to use oestrogen replacement because otherwise it is a long time to go with hormone deprivation which can cause all sorts of problems in later life.  As others have said, the benefits of HRT far outweigh the risks particularly at your age.  I would recommend taking HRT transdermally (I prefer the gel) but you will also need progesterone if you have a womb and I would recommend Utrogestan because it is bio identical and has far fewer side effects, particularly when taken vaginally.  It is worth noting that the risk element of HRT is in the synthetic progestin content, not the bio identical oestrogen.  Synthetic progestins have some unpleasant side effects for some people and they undermine all the good work that the oestrogen does. 

I have been around the block on this one and this is the best HRT regime in my opinion.  I only wish I had started with it straightaway and not wasted my time on other medication that didn't work. 

I hope that helps.