Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: forum new member  (Read 3487 times)

tiredmum

forum new member
« on: November 16, 2015, 08:59:00 PM »

Just joined after reading the Nice guidelines.I 've booked a gp appointment for a couple of weeks time.need some advice I'm 49 and want to try bioidentical hrt .I'm not sure what to ask for I've read a lot about the patches and think this might be the best route.any advice much appreciated

ellie66

Re: forum new member
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 11:42:53 PM »

I use Oestrogel and Utrogestan which is a bio identical progesterone. I love the gel rather the patches both are bio identical so you have a choice

SadLynda

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 12:04:11 PM »

Hi Tiredmum, love the name.  I am 49 too, sorry cannot advise on hrt and not there (yet) but also booked appointment and hoping new GP will help. :welcomemm:

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 03:04:49 PM »

Hi tiredmum

:welcomemm: from me too!

Great that you've joined us after the recent publicity! As a matter of interest whereabouts are you in menopause eg what are your periods doing these days?

I use bio-identical HRT too like ellie66 - I use oestrogen patches ( Estradot - which are very small) and Utrogestan (vaginally). Utrogestan is the brand name for progesterone or micronised progesterone - which is often how it appears in the doc's reference book. All the information about dosing is on this forum and more details on the web ( if you would like it -we can post a link for you)

These two different transdermal methods each have their devotees - some women just try one and stay with it all the time they are on HRT, other women find that gel doesn't work so well for them so they try patches, and some women the other way round. So it's a matter of personal choice - gel is applied daily so you have to wait for it to dry - but then you can't see it, patches are applied once or twice weekly but they may be visible ( depending on who's looking  ::) ).

If you have any further questions do ask.

Hope this helps  :)

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 04:30:46 PM »

:welcomemm:

tiredmum

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 05:42:04 PM »

Thanks for the advice ladies already feel more positive after reading your answers and booking my gp appointment.as a matter of interest my periods are regular 28 day but only last 3days now but find the insomnia and night sweats getting me down.having tried every herbal tablet going I've decided it's time to get the real me back.I never realised how tough it was going to be but feel I'm on the right track now. :)

SadLynda

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 07:35:58 PM »

I was once told the herbal sleepers like 'nytol' and the one I am taking 'sleep aid' can need 3 months to kick in properly, something I did not know before.  Just while you wait for your appointment of course.  Sure you will get some help from GP :)

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 07:42:30 PM »

Was the info pushed by the manufacturers ?  :-\  I find that OTC medication designed to aid sleep works or not …….  ::)

Franco

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 09:47:55 AM »

Hi I have read quite a bit about bio-identicals due to the fact my sister had a stroke last year and is now menopausal so we were looking at alternatives.  I was under the impression that they were only available from private practitioners and ware really expensive?  Can you request them from your GP?

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 12:30:25 PM »

Hi Franco

There is a difference between "Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy" as a treatment and "bio-identical hormones" which can be confusing. The BHRT is only available from private practitioners as you say and is very expensive and not common in UK (but it is in US). The problem is it is not standardised or regulated so you can't be sure of the doses you are getting.

The good news is that bio-identical or body-identical hormones - that is oestrogen in the form of estradiol and progesterone (available as micronised porgesterone) - are available on NHS and yes you can ask for them from your GP!

All the information is on the top menu under Treatments/HRT preparations: oestrogens are here: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/oestrogens.php and progestogens here: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php

If there is anything else we can help with please ask :)

Hurdity x

Franco

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 12:49:20 PM »

Hi Hurdity thank you so much for the quick response.  Yes it is confusing and so many of you guys on the site seem to know your stuff  :)

I'm taking Elleste solo 1mg due to hysterectomy and only been taking it for 2 weeks - you have said it can take up to 3 months to know if it is relieving my symptoms.  The way I feel at the moment I just don't know if I can wait that long...I know most of the ladies on the forum probably feel like that too at times.  I've cried in work today for the first time ever and was really embarrassed...I'm aching all over like I have the flu (which I don't - this is one of my horrible symptoms and is continuous).  My concentration is zero as is my memory, I know I'm really withdrawn from my family as just don't want to talk.  All I can think about is going home to bed so I can sleep and not think or feel anything.  I'm on Mirtazapine 45mg daily - have been on AD for most of my adult life.  First went on them after I had my daughter due to a whole raft of life events, divorce, death in the family, house broken in to, car crash...A couple of years ago I came off them over a 12 month period so did it really slowly but within 3 months I was back to feeling anxious, really low, tearful and not coping.  I've accepted it's something I will probably have to take for the foreseeable and don't have a problem with it.  I do think that they've helped to mask a lot of my symptoms but they're really not helping any more and I just feel desperate.  I've made an app to see a GP tomorrow to discuss upping the dose or maybe trying patches to see if they get in to your system quicker.  My male boss asked if I was ok (he saw a GP app in the diary) I said yes I'm at that age with menopause etc and he said 'well it was hardly unexpected'  >:(.  Thank god I have an amazing husband who keeps telling me he loves me  :)

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 01:31:10 PM »

:welcomemm:  Franco - aches and pains are common due to the drop of oestrogen levels!  Taking a good pain relief as necessary as well as HRT if required can help.  Browse round, make notes  ;)

cupcake 67

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 01:51:46 PM »

Hi everyone new member here, been reading through everyone's advice and I have no clue..... went to the doctors this morning and she said I am going through pre menopause I am 48 and also have rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis so I am on injection and pain killers for this so the doctor said I have to be careful with over the counter medication.
she has told me to go away and read this website to see the pro's and con's we talked about going on HRT and need to go back and see her about this when I have decided any help would be great thanks x

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2015, 05:35:59 PM »

Hi cupcake

:welcomemm:

If you introduce yourself by starting a new thread in this section then you will get more responses as everyone will see you are a new member  and I will also reply properly then so that your post doesn't get missed :)

Hurdity x